1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 or 1 oz for singles?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dale58, Mar 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

I'm just getting back into reloading and was thinking about loading some 7/8 oz. loads for singles. I don't know if its a mental thing or what but it just seams like there is not a lot of shot in that load. I usually shoot 1 oz. and they work well. Any opinions would be appreciated. P.S. if this has already been discussed I apologize, but I missed it. thanks, Dale

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Either one will break targets. I have found that 7/8 works better when you add a little speed to it. (1250 fps) Mark

3. Danby

Danby Member

The last two years I've been shooting 7/8s 18grains of American Selects,Downrange pink 7/8s wad,81/2s in summer 8s in winter , STS shell and Win.209 primer 1200 fps soft shooting and breaks great and save some money!

4. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

I've shot a 7/8 oz. load that probably tops 1300 fps for close to twenty years and it's the only thing I load or use in 12 gauge. I like a B&P T2 wad, which is hard to find and won't go into new AA hulls, but it does fine in old AA's and in STS's. I've used it every time I've shot a perfect score.

Had one time many years ago when I was lots younger that I shot a double registered match (short match, offers of more targets - took advantage of it) - 600 targets in one day with a Remington 3200 and I could still move my arm the next day!

Not without some soreness, but . . .

Tony

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Wonder what Leo, Phil, Harlen, and Dr Longshot use?

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

You have to say "HaHa" or use the symbol " :p " when you use Dr. LowAvg's name in the same sentence as Leo, Phil and Harlan. Otherwise it's a felony.

Gary

7. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

It is said that one of the big dogs, when asked why he shot 1-1/8oz said, ..."because I can't shoot 1-1/4oz."

On the other hand, I find that if I crushem with 1oz, I can smokem with 7/8.
    However, if I miss, 1-1/2 would not have helped.

8. bigben

bigben Active Member

You will find the the vast majority very best trapshooters in the world shooting 1 1/8 oz. for everything, should you shoot less? incinerate em!

9. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Right in line with Danby... but I think quicker is a little better. 7/8s hard shot. 7.5 in winter, 8.5 when it warms up. 19.5gr of American Select, Downrange XXL pink in an STS shell and WW209. You'd be surprised how long it takes to empty the tube of shot!

10. Tee J

Tee J TS Member

if it is just practice why not shoot 3/4oz loads they will help you hold tighter on your target.

11. the old guy

the old guy TS Member

7/8 oz is required for Olympic Trap. If it's good enough for 75 meter, 45 degree angles and variable elevations, it damn sure is good enough for benchrest trap.

12. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I guarantee all the big dogs are saying "yeah boy, go ahead and shoot those 7/8 oz loads against me" Why handicap yourself?

13. dhip

dhip Active Member

I'm s;owly changing from 1 ounce to 7/8 at the moment myself.Being in the poor catagory I feel saving the lead especially when shooting at my local club,makes sense.Also save a tad of powder too because it'll take less to get same as 1 ounce.Using Promo,cheddite primers in federal hulls with claybuster pink wads.Some at the club are using 16 gr of prono,however in my alliant catalog it reccommends 17 for 1200 fps as the lowest.Using a 30 mec seems to drop 16.6 gr,might give it a try.

Doug H.

14. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I tried 1 oz loads with reclaim shot in very windy conditions and had a rough time staying in the 20s----Changed to 1 1/8 oz with 7 1/2s and had two 24s
    Same gun and same person----I think I'm using the 1 1/8s for now---Just saying.

George@SJB

15. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Speaking of saving money, I gave up shooting singles except for leagues some time ago. Found it boring. Would rather focus on practice for handicap...and sometimes use 7/8 oz. for this practice. Regards, Ed

16. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Old Guy: What is bench rest trap? I know I don't get around much but I do read.

17. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

"I usually shoot 1 oz. and they work well." Why change?

Sounds like you don`t have any confidence in 7/8 loads.

Regards , Pete

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dale, First off I'd ask why you want to lower your load from one oz to 7/8 oz??? Do you want to save on shot??? Or do you want to save your shoulder from recoil??? I'f its to save your shoulder I say just go for it. If its to save a few pennies a round I'd say buy a l000 wads and shoot them only for practice and keep 2 seperate ave.'s for both shot drops. Until "You Know" what works best for you and you have "absolute confidence" in your 7/8 oz. loads you'll never know. Only you can answer that question for you. Since you've gone this far as to ask for advice, it seems clear to me that you need to try some and find your own answers. This is one of the reasons we reload??? Is it not??? Best of Luck and break em all. Jeff

PS I would not change your shot speeds at all. 1100-1145 for singles, and 1045-1200 for handicap are fine. Remember that 2 years ago the Big money handicap was won from the 27 yard line with ll45 fps. shells.

19. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

The main reason I am thinking about using 7/8 0z. loads is to reduce recoil. For me in long days of shooting, recoil starts to take its toll. It beats up my shoulder and I also believe it causes an occasional flinch. I agree with Jeff that shooting 7/8 oz. loads only saves a few pennies, so thats not the issue. Thanks for your opinions. Dale

20. eastcoastshooter

eastcoastshooter Member

What kind of recoil pad are you using, do you have a reducer I have one own my gun and it really helps, been shooting 7/8 for practice, going to start shooting (new gun clubs) for HC at events. Just my 2cents. Have a good shoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.