1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 loads greendot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by stu mackay, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stu mackay

stu mackay TS Member

I would like to try some green dot with 7/8 loads any ideas? thanks stu Will probably use windjammer wads and w primers

2. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Green dot has a slow burn rate, Red dot would be a better powder. Check the Alliant web site.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

What they're saying is green dot with a light payload isn't a good combination. The lighter the payload you should be thinking faster burning powders that will keep the internal pressure up for consistency.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Green Dot will work IF you want to load at 1300+ fps. Not the best choice though.

5. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I have been using Green Dot for 7/8 oz loads for several years and have found no problems with it.

The load is....F209A..17.5 grs GD..Claybuster grey 7/8 oz wad..shot of your choice..STS hull.

Now, the 17.5 grs of GD is what I get with a MEC #30 bushing...it is SUPPOSED to drop 18.6 grs, but you know how that story goes, I am sure.

The load chronos at around 1200 fps from a 32" barrel and is completely adaquate for 16 yd. trap.

And yes....I have shot it in cold weather, downto around 20° with no funny sounders. I THINK that the hot Federal primer has something to do with that.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Bad idea. I've tried GD @ 7/8's. Use Clays or 700X.

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I use 19.3 Grains of green dot in red AA's Fiocchi primers and orange claybuster was with 1 oz of shot. I have been using this for several months playing scrap and most recently for dove hunting. Personally, I think it is the best load I have ever used. I have shot my best scores ever with this load. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.