1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 for caps

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by uncle chuck, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uncle chuck

uncle chuck TS Member

Has anyone used 7/8 oz loads for caps out to 21 yards.

2. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I have used 7/8oz loads to shoot from the 30 yard line. I even won some money there. However, I don't recommend it as a load to use when it counts. More pellets is better.

I'm sure Neil can post the statistics for us.

3. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Glen Brewer got a punch to the 24 yesterday at Rockingham Co Gun Club in NC. He shoots 7/8 oz exclusively. J.W.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

In the past, I've started newbies on the 16 yard line and using my 7/8 oz of 9s with great success when they manage to point at the bird. I've always taken them back to the 27 yard line when they were down to +/- 5 shells for the day mostly just to have them feel the difference that yardage as related to vision and all. I've seen most of those newbies break a one or two (of 5) from 27 yards with 7/8 oz of 9s never intending they would break many birds, if any. Were the breaks spectacular? Heck no! Do I recommend that load all the way back? Heck no!......Bob Dodd

5. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I shot 7/8 of 7.5's all the way back to the 24 without a problem. I'm shooting from the 25 (25.5) now and my scores convinced me to go heavy - 26gm of 7.5's now - ha! I think that another washer on the comb just might do the same thing?

It's really the choke & pattern that matters, at your typical breaking distance.

Kip

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Could be more mental than real but I think 1 1/8 Oz of #7 1/2 launched at 1,200(+) FpS is the load to use from the back line. For short range HC the 7/8 Oz loads may do fine, I know they work okay at the 16. Still I would feel more confident in at least 1 Oz of #8s, the last thing you want is to have the slightest doubt in your ammo.

7. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

We've been using 7/8 7.5 to practice to the 27, but running fast...

TNCoach

8. perga1

perga1 Active Member

They work in Bunker where the target leaves the house @ 60+ MPH and they still break the target on the second shot when they are OUT there. If you point them correctly and have the proper choke there is no reason for a quality 7/8 oz. load to not break them from the 27. JRM

9. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

May I also add if you use better shot the hard stuff it will work better less deformed shot with it. You save money with the 7/8 load so buy better shot for registered shoots and the cheaper shot for practice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.