1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 change choke??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by k80 hopeful, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k80 hopeful

k80 hopeful TS Member

Like many of the rest of you, have been thinking of using some 7/8 ounce loads and was wondering for the 16 yard line do any of you change your choke? Currently using IM. Thanks as always for your thoughts. Jean

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A friend who shoots dog trials very seriously has done much research on the subject.

His findings are that the lighter the shot charge the tighter it patterns through the same choke.

we knew this when 1 0z became popular. So basically, a target breaking pattern should be achievable easily with Improved cyl and 7/8 oz loads.

Be sure and report back your findings.

HM

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I use the same, IM. Regardless of the shot load. Althought, I did increase the speed of th 7/8's load.

4. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I've just started loading 7/8 last week. I used Mod for my first round. No problems. I was thinking of loading with 8.5's instead of 8's. 16 yard only. Dave T.

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Earl, HM, in my test the smaller load did not pattern tighter and most certainly not better. It just patterned thinner which if you are close enough and accurate enough, makes no difference at all.

Neil

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Dave, I just had the same idea and loaded some 8.5's this week end. I've not shot them yet but expect to be more than satisfied with them. I don't seem to shoot the 7/8's oz near as well as the 1 oz. I suspect that the problem is me, not the shells, just being sloppy in pointing the gun. Shhot well, Bob H.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've used 1 oz for 30 years and 7/8 oz of 9s for the last 15 years on close birds of any game and I do NOT change chokes because of the load(s). I started out with a 1928 full choked M.12 and 1 1/8 oz; moved on to 1 oz with full or Imp. mod. on other guns and stuck with Imp. Mod. only until 2 years ago going to full choke at all yards and it made not one whit of difference. In sporting I use the same 1 oz for distant shots and the weenie for close ones and I, at most venues, never change the Imp. Cyl. chokes from that barrel. Am I in the Big Dog fraternity? Heck no but which chokes I use is certainly not a factor....breakemall....Bob Dodd

8. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Hello MULEDEAR AKA EARL , I tried to e mail you but my e mail is down,,,,I am a member of Fairfield Glade club and have done a lot of shooting with 7/8 oz loads,,,,dont get down there much ,,live in NY ,,,but I mite be able to answer a few questions for you,,,,I am on with tech now trying to get e mail up ,,,Bill Goscinski ATA # 02 11236

9. 682LINY

682LINY Member

One of my first times at the club ,,had the luck to shoot with Bill Anderson,,,he wupped me good

10. Bobshouse

Bobshouse TS Member

I'm past the 7/8 ounce loads to loading 3/4...thinking about dropping that down to 11/16. Course I can't hit anything with them, but I couldn't before, so life goes on, but I save a little money.

I find with those lighter loads a tighter choke works better.

Bob

11. oz

oz Active Member

Listen carefully. I have been shooting 1 oz with light mod for years and it is deadly. 7/8's try L/M AND also try I/C. You will be impressed. don't listen to the old guys that say shoot full or extra full or double extra full. you will waste your time. oz

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My main gun is unchoked now, but previously used 1 oz with Mod very nicely (8 & 1/2 shot).

I guess a lot depends on the load/gun combo. Glad I got all those nice pattern sheets to use up.

HM

13. smartass

smartass TS Member

oz, what's your ATA number so the "deadly" effect of 1 oz can be verified.

14. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

I have patterned many of these at 30 yds plus they pattern VERY tight, always use a IC choke even then at 16 yard targets it will turn them to smoke balls, It seens to me that 8's pattern the best, however some guns are different.

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Shooting a Chambermate 12 to 20 gauge reducer in my XT 30" barrel briley Spectrum IM choke, Shot just fine and was inpressed with the target breaking. I shot 24 24 to tie for 1st at 20g fun shoot. I shot 7/8oz 7.5 and a box of STS target loads 8s. I soon will try to shoot some reloads at 7/8 to conserve a little shot.

16. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I have been shooting 7/8 for 3 years now. I use IM. Practice with full. They work much better than I shoot dag nab it! I have tested 7/8 against 11/8. My scores were exactly the same, 96/96. Jake

17. smartass

smartass TS Member

Jake, that was a very scientific test, using all of 200 shots. I assume you were shooting skeet since you failed to specify.

18. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Infer, the modern choke certainly squeezes the pellets; that's why some speed up through full-choke guns. A larget percent of the shot did _not_ end up in the magic circle when I did my test, link above. Nor any other circle for that matter. But you are right, there's no substitute for raw numbers.

Neil

19. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

Neil thanks so much for your science. I read your posts with eagerness. You dispel the trap house yarns that become fact over Time.

Arnie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.