1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/8 and an 1187 Trap problem???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Fizzman1970, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fizzman1970

Fizzman1970 TS Member

I picked up an 1187 trap a few weeks back, and with the cheap 1 1/8 oz shells from Wal-Mart was breaking 23 or 24. This weekend I tried using the 7/8 shells I use for practice in my 90T, and was really struggling to brake birds. When the bird would brake it would be a weak brake. I don’t want to tell you my scores. I browed a box of 1 1/8 from a friend and shot a 23. I know I’m going to have to spend some time at the pattering board next weekend, but wanted to see all your thoughts on this.

The 1187 Trap is an overbore target barrel. The choke I was using was Trap Full. I also have the Trap Extra Full, and Trap Supper Full.

The 7/8 shells are AA hulls, 616 primers, Claybuster gray wads, and 17 grains of Promo powder. Again my 90T shoots the shells fine. I may miss one or two birds more then normal but that my fault.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I load your load with the change of the PINK claybuster, and 20 gr promo. I get great results with this load. It operates any auto I have shot it in, and crushes birds. Recoil is not an issue.

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

If they break with the 90T and not with the 11-87 than it definitely not the shells and if know where the gun shoots than it is not the gun either ... I think once you learn where the gun shoots you'll crush them little flying devils that emerge from there underground place of hiding to try and escape the deadly charge of lead emitting from the smoking end of your barrel.

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I would say that the difference in your scores is due about 90% to the different guns and 10% to the different loads. Try shooting the 7/8 ounce loads in the 1187.

Easystreet

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

Mr EasyStreet ... that is where he was shooting them.

6. BT99er

BT99er TS Member

Use your superfull choke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Fizzman1970

Fizzman1970 TS Member

Yes the problem is with the 1187 and the 7/8 oz load. I was thinking of making a couple of faster 7/8 loads, and see what happens. It just did seem that the velocity was there. I hate shooting at the pattering board, but I know I’m going to have to. Just to see where it shoots, and if there is holes in the pattern. Maybe I will have to use the superfull choke.

Shooting Coach - PINK claybuster, and 20 gr promo, 7/8 what is the velocity? 1350?

Thanks for any and all opinions!

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Fizz ... I have a feeling that the gun may not be shooting where your thinking it is shooting and that might be the cause of it all or ...

I honestly do not think that going for a 90T to an 1187 would change the velocity of the shell thusly changing anything really at all.

Pattern the gun and find out where it is shooting in relation to where you are looking and then give it a whizzerbanginwhirl again.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

POI is the problem. Different loads sometimes have a different POI. HMB

10. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

"Mr EasyStreet ... that is where he was shooting them."

Sorry. I misunderstood. I thought he was shooting one shell in one gun and a different shell in a different gun, but after re-reading the post I see my mistake. Thanks.

Easystreet

11. willing

willing Member

Try the other chokes, the one you're using is about a modified. You may need something tighter with 7/8 oz.

Bill

12. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have an 870 TC Trap and an 11/87, each with the overbored barrels. They both shoot great with either the trap extra full or trap super full chokes. However, my scores go in the toilet with the trap full choke, even with 1 1/8 oz trap loads. Therefore, I never use the trap full choke in either gun.

I would definitely pattern the trap full choke. I think that there were some problems reported with this choke in other posts.

Earlier in the year, I began using a 1970's vintage 870 30" modified trap barrel on the 870 TC Trap. On my first outing, I broke a 98 at 16 yards with it using 1 oz. of #8 shot and the two misses were my fault.

On the other hand, I use the overbored barrel and super full choke for games. It has a lot of reach even with a 2 3/4 dram 7 1/2 load. With a pigeon load of 6's, it can break any target in any game at any distance.

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Velocity is around 1350 with this load. Pressure is around 9,600 psi. This load patterns very well.

I shoot this in my K-80 Unsingle with most any choke from MOD to F. XF does not pattern well with any load in either the Unsingle or the O/U barrels. OTOH, I have a Remmy 870 comp with the overbored barrel and a measured 38 points of choke. The Remmy turns a solid into a vapor with this load!

You might put the gun on paper at 13 yards to double check POI. Some Remmy auto trap guns are pretty flat. Once you SEE where the gun shoots, you can make adjustments to your shooting style.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1187 trap problems