1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7.62X39 AR?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Does anyone have any experience with the AR lower with a 7.62X39 upper? Seems like this would be an easy and inexpensive way to create a mid-power 30 caliber rifle.

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Not me ...got an SKS...would work ok as long as you stuck with non-corrosive ammo....I have a few uppers for my Bushmaster ..5.56,..450 SOCOM , 338 Federal and a 6.5 Grendel is on the way

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

They work okay, but you have to stay away from the steel cased ammo. The tolerances are much tighter on an AR platform. The round itself is okay up to 150 yards, but then begins to peter out quickly.

ss

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I agree it doesn't have the range of the .223 but inside that shorter range I would suspect it has better terminal performance. I'm not a rifleman so I don't really know.

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

wireguy,

That would be what it is best at.

ss

6. CalvinMD

The best mix of power, range and economy of shooting still comes out to the 7.62 Nato(308Win) if you want real performance to hunt serious size animals with and print bragging size groups from an AR platform...I do love my 338Federal though..easy to neck up 308s but the bullets are pricey

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Yea, but compare a case of say 1000 rounds of 7.62X39 brass cased and boxer primed to any of the calibers mentioned here. I'm talking general all around ranch, zombies, typical inside 100 yards work. Is a troglodyte or coyote going to be any deader with a cartridge that costs 2 to 10 times more per each?

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Initially there were problems with the magazines (the originals were standard AR 20s blocked at 5 rounds, any more than that and the 7.62X39 round needed more of a curve in the mag), but USA magazines designed what was commonly called a "Frankenmag" made out of an AK mag spotwelded to an AR upper section that fit the mag well. Amazingly, though ugly (like Frankenstein), these mags worked really well, though they were/are hard to find. C-Products came out with a magazine last year that looks normal and is supposed to function properly (don't own any, stocked up on the frankenmags, though the C-Products ones are "inexpensive").

Also, there were reports of bolt breakages early on, supposedly caused by the stock bolt being machined out to allow the larger 7.62X39 case head. The solution was to have a spare bolt handy just in case. As is my usual luck, I haven't needed to replace it (I guess the solution works.).

My rifle, a Colt, doesn't seem to be ammo sensitive and has never had a malfunction during use. It used to be my favorite rifle to loan at our annual "Big Shoot(s)" at the local range. It was inexpensive (relatively), and dead reliable for my friends who didn't own one. It also has more than adequate power - sorta like a .30-30 with a pointy bullet. Good luck.

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Buy the gun that's made for that round -AK.

10. CalvinMD

Everybody should have an SKS or AK for when the excrement impacts the rotary air flow oscillator

11. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

Calvin, whats wrong with a 5.56 AR for "when the excrement impacts the rotary air flow oscillator" situations? Readily available parts, significantly increased accuracy, increased accuracy at distance, battle proven, reliable, a variety of bullet configurations (i.e Mk 262)?

12. CalvinMD

Nothing at all : )) I'll have both just in case I run out of 5.56...the 7.62x39 will be close by too..that way i can use some ammo the opposition is most likely to have

13. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I have both just for that reason....Final layer of HOMELAND DEFENSE...The 7.62 X 39 is a way more potent round than the .223 especially within 200 yards...Way more mass and knockdown power...The little .223 doesn't compare..

I prefer a .308 or 30-06 over both but you can't beat the 7.62 for cost..

14. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

The 5.56 vs. 7.63x39 has been debated ad naseum and I will not get into that here. However, Calvin under the current situation I do not think the "opposition" will be carrying an AK...

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I have both and the AK's have never missed a beat, easy to clean, eats cheap ammo, steel mags are cheap.

The AR, I want to like better but needs more cleaning and time to clean, also does not like steel cases.

If I had to hit the frozen snow, mud and the blood I'd have to grab the AK.

16. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Get the best of both worlds with a piston driven AR if your serious about never missing a beat. 5.56 is way more accurate, standard ak's shoot minute of man.

Both have their ups and downs but if it ever really came down to it either will work.

Calvin- I love your description of fans and feces.

Nick

17. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

At 59 I'm not going to be humping a ruck anyway. More sit and wait for it to come to me so way long distance has less utility than down and stay down.

18. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

It's about the dumbest idea yet, just get an AK in .556x45 while you're at it so you can have the worst of all worlds.

19. Pipalmighty

Pipalmighty TS Member

I've said this before, and I will say it again.... If you're trying to decide between the 5.56 and the '39, forget about both and get a Mosin Nagant. The knockdown power at sub 200yds is more than adequate, and the fact that: A: you can buy a mosin for $90,
    B: the ammo is dirt cheap
    C: you can still shoot the ammo that was made with the gun in the '40's.
    Yes, the big drawback is the 5 round internal mag. But let's face it, you won't be in a poo flinging fight with the mosin. So use it at 200 yds. Or even 600yds if you have a good optics platfom.
    Parts are as prolific as they are for the AK, but you need less of them.
    Thoughts?

Shane

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.