1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7/28---Landed @ Sparta...!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by juststartin', Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juststartin'

juststartin' Member

Decided to take another week's vacation, just me an the Wife, and head to Sparta early. Landed this morning, and was pleasantly surprised at some grass in the premium camp spots. Crab grass, and spotty at best, but grass nonetheless. Humid as all get out!!! South Side Ribs were awesome as always!!! Apparently, the club is shut down this week, and no practice is available. I will be checking on this Monday. Anyone with questions, let me know if I can help out from here...Tom

2. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

What server do you have there that is working? I will be bringing my Sprint broadband with me.........wondering if it will work there.

Is there anyone else there yet?

Lorna

3. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Sprint Broadband should work at the Grand...

I spoke with Bob Staurt at the US Open about wireless broadband access and his provider of choice is Sprint. At the US Open, he had no signal, but there was a new cell tower being finished just north of the Events Center (we could see it out the window of the scoresheet annex). He did some digging and it was to be active by the Grand and was a Sprint tower.

I will see if I can get in contact with Bob once he gets set up over the weekend and check to see if it is working...

John

4. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

John......thanks so much!! Keep me posted. If you hear something before Sat. I plan to take it with me.....but would sure like to know it is going to work. Now I will just have to wrestle the kids for it! LOL........between my space and webkinz world for my little girl.......I have to just about take them down to get my own computer! I will be in Sparta Sat afternoon, so then I will know by being there! Can't believe it is grand time already. I am SURE we were just in Tucson at the Autumn grand! LOL

Lorna

5. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

it worked at the US Open this year, so I am sure the WiFi hot spot will be there for the Grand.

6. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

I will remember that....but sure hoping it will work in my camper! :eek:)

7. juststartin'

juststartin' Member

As far as the broadband question, I'm a bit computer illiterate, so bear with me. I have a loaner laptop from my workplace, and I have inserted an AT&T aircard, which is working fine in the premium north loop. Saturday, when I checked in (oh, and there was an additional $30/day fee), the camp host mentioned that the club was being handed over to the ATA for the week, to get prepped, and that he was told there would be no practice until Friday or Saturday when most of the campers would be pulling in, Just going by what I was told initially. Spent the day @ St. Louis Zoo yesterday, so had no time to confirm this. I'll snoop today for you.

8. juststartin'

juststartin' Member

Oh, and Tuesday, not a cloud in the sky, and it's gonna be a warm one, Boys & Girls...!

9. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I'm jealous Tom...no fair! Wow actual grass in the campground--now that's progress. How are the baby trees doing; last year we weren't convinced they'd last the drought. Especially when we saw the morons spraying the leaves with water mid day in the 100+ heat.

I just had a thought; maybe each Grand participant could bring a tree each year to plant--a modern-day trapshooting Johnny Aplleseed kind of deal. As it is now the poor traveling trapshooting mutts 'gots 'no decent place to pee!

On our way this Sunday--of course my brain's been there for weeks already...

Guy Babin

10. Don S

Don S Member

Only approved contractors are allowed to plant trees on the complex.

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

That's no fun..... and I guess my lame attempt at humor wasn't either.

12. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

lol........actually, we thought about planting a tree by our camper too.....but I guess we can't...darn.

13. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

I forgot to ask........how was the zoo? Is it far from the complex?

14. juststartin'

juststartin' Member

Trees are doing OK for their second year...Yes, they are growing, but probably not to anyone's liking or speed. The zoo is roughly an hour away off of I-64 (I drive extremely fast!). I need someone to confirm, for the people that have Premium campsites, that a cement pad ajacent to the black top was in the contract, or not. Reason I ask is, there is a company laying cement pads out here ( I believe it's Lake Contractors), anda 50'x10' ran something like $2400.00. My Wife is CONVINCED that it WAS in the contract, and that these were to be supplied by the IDNR. She was told at the laundromat across the street from South Side Ribs, that the IDNR ran outta money, therefore no pads...Oh, and the lights that you plug your water and electric into (at least in the North Loop) are not working either...BUT, the BEER is COLD!!! Tom

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The St.Louis Zoo is, considered by many a zoo curator, to be one of the top 5 zoos in the world. Marlin Perkins was once the SLZ's curator. Oh, by the way, It's free to get into this fine zoo. You pay for parking, I think $5. and for your food and beverages.

Worth every minute you spend there. Have fun!

16. Don S

Don S Member

The IDNR supplied the blacktop pad only. Lake Contractors will put in a concrete slab adjacent to the blacktop for $5.00 a square foot. There are other contractors approved by the IDNR. Before the contractor will put in a slab, you must sign an agreement with the IDNR that donates the slab to the State Park. That way the State cannot be held responsible for damages caused by other campers. We only have rights to the campsites for the ATA events. You never know what skeet shooters might do to your site.

17. laura!

laura! Member

Would love to know what their selling shells for. Remington STS & Winchester AA.
    Thanks!

18. juststartin'

juststartin' Member

55.90/case at Walmart, 59.00 at Gamaliel, from early reports

19. juststartin'

juststartin' Member

And thanks for the explanation, Don

20. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

thanks so much for the info on the zoo.....maybe that will be the Sunday afternoon fun event we do with our daughter.....and make the teens go too! LOL. Actually we have done another zoo during the year and we all had a great time.

I don't know about the concrete slabs, but I do know that the lights for the plugins.......the IDNR paid for the lighted plug ins and the company sent many without the lights. and they were installed before anyone realized it. They look Exactly the same. I know they talked about having them pulled and reinstalled, but maybe the company made it worth their while not to do that. I don't know. also, there is a switch on them I think.....so you might be sure the switch is on. Not to say you didn't, but just thought I would mention it......I know some of them do have lights.

lorna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.