1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7 1/2s for first shot on doubles?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dale58, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

anyone use 1 oz. 7 1/2 for first shot on doubles?

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sure. Works just fine. So do #8s and #8 1/2. Given that this shot is one of the closest and easy to make shots in the game, you really don't need the bigger shot to break targets but if that is what you have - no worries just go bust them.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

One oz of 9s with a skeet choke works for me. HMB

4. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I typically only use 7 1/2s for anything and everything. Occassionally I find a buy on 8's and will load them and yes, first shot of doubles or singles is where they go. Other than that I use 7 1/2, that is one more move on the loader I do not have to make. I use the adjustable bar and there is a difference in the settings which makes me wonder how much variance there is with the standard charge bar?

5. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

They'll work just fine. Shoot them all the time for first shot of doubles.

Steve

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Why? Why not use smaller shot. How many more 8's or 8 1/2's are there in a 1 oz load? And , how many 7 1/2's in a 1oz load? Why take a chance on a hole in the pattern on such a close shot?

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

0unce of 8's you still get the pellet count with reduced recoil. 7.5 for the second shot.

8. RonC

RonC TS Member

7 1/2s have 23% more pellet energy than 8's. Since pellet energy breaks birds you can shoot lower velocity loads with 7 1/2s and still be more assured to breaking the bird than with smaller shot. I only use 7 1/2s. For the pellet counters out there, I have done lots of patterning. You have to work with the inner 20-22" part of the 30" circle; not reliable pellet distribution past that. good smoke can be achieved with 200 or more pellets in this area. using a full choke, a 7/8 oz 7 1/2 load gives this count at 30 yds., the distance just before most single targets are broke. This pattern is the same as 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 from 27 yds assuming targets are broke at 40 yds. The only choke that has all the pellets in a 30" circle at 30 yds is the full choke. All other chokes have lost target breaking ability past that point. The critical inner core dose not get any bigger witrh a more open choke!

Ron

Leo Suhre thanked this.
  9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

So you use full choke on your first shot on Doubles? A 20/22" diameter pattern is common with a Full choke at 30 yards, but if you are a quick shooter on your first shot of doubles you will be handicapped by a full choke. The first bird does not always come out on the same path, nor height. A .015 to .020 is the most common choke on the first shot of doubles. Some shoot IC, .010. Will 7 1/2's have a hole? or hurt your edge pattern if that bird is right or left of where it was to "supposed" to come out?

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

It'll work.......first shot on doubles is a free'be, I can't think of a load that WOULDN'T work?

John C. Saubak

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Setterman you are explaining things to the "experts" again.

Don

12. dphillips8191

dphillips8191 Member

I shoot 7/8 #9 and 1oz #9 for my second shot with im/mod chokes both barrels, it hit's them hard.

13. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I use Gold Medal X-Lites 7 1/2 shot 1 1/8oz for both shots when it comes down to the important biggie shoots. Wilkinson set my gun up for that. That takes care of pattern holes. This is the lowest recoiling load I have found. I don't have to worry about which shell goes in which bbl,did I put the 7/8 load in the top,did I put the 8 1/2 in the bottom,etc. I can watch the targets as they are shot,see if wind is a worry,are the targets correct,visualize me breaking the target. At a small shoot,yes I use a red,green or silver,gold,etc 7/8-1 oz. Eliminate every variable you can.

14. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I've often wondered why people don't put there doubles average here so we could separate the knowledge from the theory's. For us that are learning, how do we really know if any of the ideas work?

Ajax

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Doubles average for 2010 was 96, trap the first birds with 1 oz of 9s and a skeet choke. HMB

16. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

You guys who shoot 7/8 oz. on the first shot of doubles must have had your triggers converted from inertia to mechanical because my 682 will sometimes not set the top barrel for the second shot with 7/8 oz. loads. 1-ouncers work reliably, but not 7/8. ....Rick

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get a Remington 3200, it has a fast mechanical trigger. HMB

18. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Thank you HMB, that helps!

Ajax

19. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Ron C,

I heard some stuff before, but your first shot advice is very interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.