1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7 1/2 Or 8s whitch is better?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by whiz white, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Well, from my own experience, I've been on the 27 for 30 years and prefer 8's, but I live in a low humidity area.

I did win a handicap at the Grand a long time ago using 8½'s.

WW

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

John- If a target will break with something like .3 foot pounds what difference would it make? The only way the target would break "harder" is to apply the amount of energy required to break the target to more areas of the target (more hits). If you hit a target with one shot, no matter how much energy is in the shot, only the minimum amount of energy required to break the target can be transfered to the target.

Whiz- The air density in a dry environment is greater than in humid environment. Adding water vapor to air makes it lighter. I propose that hitting a 27 yard handicap target well with #8 shot is much better than missing the target with #7.5 shot, and vice versa.

I prefer 7.5 shot from the 27 because someone I forgot told me a long time ago that it is better. When I am actually shooting from the 27, I really can't tell any difference between #8 and #7.5 shot. I think I should pay much more attention to the shooting fundamentals and worry much less about the size of shot in my shells. But, for no real good reason, I will put 7.5 shot in my PW when I am loading handicap loads and #8 shot for singles and doubles.
    I also assume that the labels on the shot bags are accurate, but I know that sometimes this is not true.

Pat Ireland
    Pat Ireland

3. southpark

southpark TS Member

I wanted the chance to speak up and say I don't have anything to say on this subject.

4. Edward Turner

Edward Turner TS Member

Naahhhh....the real question is "which choke is better for 16 yards?".

No, wrong again, it's "should reductions be mandatory?".

Unless, of course, you prefer "which is better, Perazzi or Kreighoff?"

5. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

Don't shoot 8's, the EPA gave me an air polution ticket the last time I used 8's out of the Mod 12. They saw the big smoke cloud over the club and tracked me right down. LOL...

ol 12

6. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

If you're a para-military slob who likes to use AR-15s to shoot poor defenseless animals, then you will probably like to use 7.5s for trap. (I'm betting you probably belong to a union and shoot an occasional round of skeet, also).

On the other hand, if you're a xenophobic, murderous loser who's against illegal aliens (who by the way are some of the finest Americans I've ever met), then please, by all means, use 8s.

Unfortunately, there is no allowable variation in this advice, and your score will suffer by 3 targets per hundred if you fail to follow it.

(...I don't actually shoot trap, but that should in no way hamper you from following my advice).

(PS - I've heard both Leo Harrison and Pete McCall mention that on certain days their choice of shot size depended largely on what kind of "mood" they were in, leading one to believe this question is of somewhat minor import...however, I will not vouch for the trapshooting credentials of these guys & would take this advice with a grain of salt..."consider the source").

7. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

buy a bag of each and mix them together. then you don't have to worry about it because you have both covered.

brett d.

8. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Arnold Reigger used # 8s. That's good enough for me.

9. oletymer

oletymer Member

Good grief!! Get a life.

10. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

above 60 degrees, shoot #8's

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

12. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Consider there are more BB's in a bag of #8. Sorry to get technical.

13. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I have heard that you should shoot 7 1/2 shot in cold weather.....but who knows....does it really matter that much?

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

8-1/2's for singles

7-1/2's for handicap

5's for pheasants

15. lumper

lumper TS Member

16. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

9/12 wide fits me the best.

17. famill00

famill00 TS Member

timb99 I like 4's in 3" .410 shells for rabbits. Nothing to chip a tooth on.

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

Triplex load - it is simple.

3/8 oz of 8-1/2's first. 3/8 oz of 8's and then 3/8 oz of 7-1/2's.

It is very important that the shot be placed in the proper sequence or the larger shot will blow through the smaller shot and destroy the pattern.

Mixing all the different sizes will cause severe pattern inconsistency.

For added performance, mixing powders can have some startling results but that goes beyond the scope of this topic.

Don

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Wifey is a lot smaller, she is a size 6.........my preference.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what loads are better for trap shooting 7 or 8s