1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7 1/2, 8 or 9 - The Next Generation

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I had a chat with the trap shoot chairman of our club yesterday about the issue of using 9s vs. 8s for singles, and which choke is too much choke.

He advised me to do patterning and POI, which I always do eventually. You can look at my previous threads. Thanks to many advisers here, including Neil Winston, and to Dave McCracken of THR.com.

I discussed my idea of static testing, by mounting birds in a couple of configurations at long yardages, and shooting them with varying loads and chokes. He indicated a willingness to participate.

Anyone have any caveats about this type of static testing? What should we be on the lookout for?

I'll attempt video, but I'm not sure about the zoom range of my available cameras. I guess a camera can be mounted close to the business end of a test like this.

Danny

2. royboy

royboy Member

Use 8 1/2 on singles

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

It might be more revealing to shoot at 4 5/16 inch paper disks mounted at an angle.

Pat Ireland

4. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

You will learn that if the bird is not spinning, as when released from a trap, you will likely end up with an intact bird with holes punched in it.

Especially if you do this at 40 to 45 yards where most birds are broken. You will also see, in some cases, that the holes will generate cracks which is what causes the bird to fly apart when hit.

Any conclusions you draw from this kind of testing will be anecdotal since the birds are static and not spinning. While it seems like a good idea I don't think you'll be able to draw any valid conclusions.

Cheers,

Jerry

5. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Jerry94t is right - the dynamics of the spinning bird cause failures from small cracks. The idea of a paper target really could be done from a patterning board using the patterning paper with targets drawn on it.

The real question is:
    How much energy doe sit take, on average, to break a clay.
    The next question is:
    How do you deliver that energy effectively

I'd suggest Bob Bisters book.

6. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Now I have to hit the target with a book?

Christ, i have a hard enough time with a pattern of 8s. Or 7.5s.

So soorrryyy...couldn't resist.

7. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

"The real question is: How much energy doe sit take, on average, to break a clay. The next question is: How do you deliver that energy effectively"

That's what I'm trying to determine.

I had considered that mounted birds might have different characteristics than launched and spinning birds. But, I'd bet that if 8s put holes in a bird at 50 yards, and 9s put a few more holes at the same yardage, then the 9s would break the spinning birds. If the 9s penetrate some and bounce off some, then it's up in the air, and at least doubtful.

I plan on trying to break some trap-thrown birds at 50 yards, by standing near the front of the trap house and shooting birds near the OB center stake.

If all this fails, I can then lurk until some sap like me starts a thread, and then come on and say "ya gotta shoot 7 13/16s from inside the 19 yard line," or some such. To be honest, in singles, it's all probably moot if you ("I") could just hit the damned birds.

Danny

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Some years ago Ray Stafford was using 9's and thought they were OK until the temperatures got cooler and some wind was added.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.