1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

6mm/'06 Rifle, ANYBODY GOT ONE

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BeerKing, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

HOW DO THEY SHOOT AND WHAT YOU GOT?

2. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

Why not just go with a 25-06?
    Bill

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Or the shorter .257 Ackley Improved....Bob Dodd

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

they have always said that was too much of an overbore chambering- not sure but a 25-06 is hard to beat

or 243 or 6MM remington

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you must have a maximum 6mm bore, the 6mm Remington AI (Ackley Improved) will get about as much as one can get out of a 243 bore, with longer bore life and much more efficiency.

For a 30/06 based round, the 25/06 in the Ackley Improved version will do about whatever you want.

Both of these improved rounds are barrel burners, and are better suited for heavier bullets. The factory 6mm Remington and the stock 25/06 are at the top of the food chain in their respective bores. These factory rounds are much easier on the bore and are useful in situations calling for more than 3 shots in 10 minutes.

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

not exactly...I've got a 6mm/.264 Win Mag wildcat on a 26" SS bbl....shoots great .4"@100yds. with 75 gr. bullets at 4000 fps.....reall loud but I enjoy shootin' varmints with it...

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

ljutic73, interesting rifle you have there guy! How many rounds have you put thru it so far and what powders are you loading for it? I'd planned on doing one very similar years ago but an old shooting friend talked me out of it. Any signs of washing yet? What twist rate is your barrel, 1 in 8 or 9? Thanks. Hap

8. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

How about a 6mm thermos bottle?

9. larryjk

larryjk Member

Beerking, I don't have one, but I make them for fellows around here. The last one I chambered was a 6mm/06 Ackley Improved because he wanted maximum performance for long range coyotes. It is pretty overbore but the guy just loves it and doesn't care that he will probably get less than 1M rounds. I have done several on straight 6mm/06 and they are a little faster than the .240 Weatherby. I haven't had a 6mm/06 myself but really like a 6.5/06 that I put together several years ago. Almost as fast as a .264 Mag using 130 gr. bullets that are moly treated. I get 3068 fps. with 58 grs. of H4831SC and the Hornady 129 grain from a 24 inch barrel. Really is hard on those antelope.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

6mm-06 is a sleeper. I have a long action that begs to become a max range splat machine. I seem to gahter that it's the equal of the "other" hot rodes, but the long action doesn't have the rigidity.

Since I'm not going to shoot 1000 yard matches it's not an issue. Maybe the newer powders will have better barrel life.

That project is on hold, but I'm not selling the gun.

HM

11. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Agree with Larryjk, 6.5/06 is almost the perfect cartridge. Let's keep it a secret.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Shooting coach is post on. A friend has a 243 AI, and it works very well. It is a much more efficient cartridge than a 6mm-06 will ever be. Ackley refers to the 6mm-06 as being overbore. This means its powder capacity is more than the bore size can handle efficiently. This results in a curve where more powder is needed to obtain a certain velocity than an efficient cartridge would need. Overbore invites throat erosion, and the more overbore a cartridge is, the more throat erosion it will have. Further, the 6mm-06 takes all the bad features of the 25-06 and makes them worse. Like needing a longer barrel to make the most of the powder. Short barrels in 6mm-06 simply defeat the purpose of the round. The 6mm-06 can be made to work, but there are better solutions.

13. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Brian in Oregon, what else is there when you say there are others out there. Looking for a fast flat 1000 yd. gun. I read a lot of statistics but have a friend here in Iowa who has built some of these and tested them and he just plain says nothing else will shoot with it. Gene in Iowa where are you located?

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Hap...so far only about 50 rounds....I'll have to go into the gun room in the basment and check the info on the load I've got right now (been laid up with a bad back and knees so haven't done any rifle shooting in months). I got the idea for the rifle from a Ross Seyfried article in Guns & Ammo back in the 90's where he explored ultra-velocity rounds and he stated that he was a fan of the old .244 H&H and thought it could be duplicated using the .264 Win. Mag case.....he was right!!....mine is built on a Tikka 658 magnum action with a 26", 1 in 13 twist SS heavy barrel from Gillard in Saskatoon, Sask. Canada. It's a fun cannon!

15. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I will have a 6.5-06 before next deer season.A 6-06 would seem to be a bit of a barrel burner.It would be easy to form cases though.Just neck down 25-06 down.If you want it get it.There is a lot of fun and satisfaction in wildcatting.

Darr Wilson

ps
    Or maybe a 6.5X55AI I don't know

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Thanks ljutic73, I appreciate the info.! Bet with the 100-105s that's a real stepper upper way out there! I have a Rem 600 with a Douglas Premium grade air ga. barrel, 24-1/2 inches. Mine has a 1 in 8 twist, makes it a tad easier using lighter bullets and stabilizing them.

My niece's hubby is a Foreman for Douglas Barrel Works, pays to have friends in high places when goodies are wanted! My rifle shoots so much better than I'm capable of holding even though it's a hunting gun with almost target rifle accuracy.One such as your's would be a fun project though, thanks for the info. Hap

17. larryjk

larryjk Member

Beerking, If you want a 1000 yd. gun, the current trend is the 6.5/.284. Savage and Cooper are making them standard. With a 28 inch barrel, they are at maximum performance. Making one right now for a fellow, 700BDL action, Kreiger 28 inch barrel(8.5 twist for 140 gr bullets), Norma chamber (tighter neck than standard 6.5/.284), HS stock.
    I think it will shoot. (The .284 is an identical twin to the .284 as far as powder capacity, but everyone thinks the short cases are more accurate.) The trigger nut is more important.

18. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I have a 7mm/06 AI. Have not chronoed yet but its very accurate with my first batch of reloads.

19. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

BEERKING- Gordy Gritters of Pella, IA has much experience and a good reputation for building long range 6mm or 6.5mm rifles. Check him out if you aren't already aware of him. His phone is (641)628-3044.

20. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Rem 31TC I know who Gordy is and know that his guns win a lot of matches. I was looking for something to shoot lighter weight bullets in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

6mm 06 ackley improved cartridge

6mm 06 rifle

6mm thermos bottle gun

6mm-06