1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

687 Stock finish?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lefthdr, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lefthdr

lefthdr Member

Just got a brand new 687 Silver Pigeon II. Took it shooting and it started to rain, so I gave it a quick wipe off, put it in the case and drove home. When I got home I took it out of the case and there were spots all over the stock. I took a damp cotton t-shirt to try and wipe them off. After removing them the finish is all cloudy. What kind of finish does this?

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I would think a water-soluble one. It is not a laquer. I remember how wood finished furniture used to do that with water on them. Some oil finishes will do that, and also a shellac will. I would not think it is a shellac though. It is the oil rubbed looking finish, correct? I know Beretta's are not really known to have a long lasting finish in that oil rubbed look. I know someone who has that model and the finish is worn off at the cheek after two years.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

That's odd. My 682 Gold E has been in the rain many times and i haven't had that happen. Maybe they have different types of finish though. Sounds like water spots. Can you post some pics?

4. lefthdr

lefthdr Member

Still on hold with Beretta this morning, will try to get to the bottom of this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.