1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

687 Misfiring

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Lagrue, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Lagrue

Lagrue Member

I bought my son a JE 687 unsingle combo. The previous owner said less than 1000 through the unsingle and the over and under had never been fired. It was obvious that the O/U hadnt been fired. My son has shot the unsingle alot. He has only shot about 6-7 rounds of doubles. The last time he shot double the top barrel misfired 8 out of 50 shots. The gun snapped when the trigger was pulled but didnt strike the primer at all. What do you think the problem could be? Its odd that it hadnt dont it all before, but all at once started is firing that bad. I am thinking about sending it to coles. I saw on Coles website where they can replace inertia triggers for mechanical triggers. Would that be a worth while investment on this gun?

2. just missed

just missed Member

Is there any light primer strike to be seen on the primer? My 686 did something similar. The firing pin and hole was dirty causing resistance on the firing pin as it traveled foreword resulting in a light strike. A good internal cleaning cleared up the problem. For what it's worth, it might be a good inexpensive first step in the problem solving process.
    Good luck.

3. Lcbic

Lcbic TS Member

If you are getting light primer strikes, it could be the cocking rod is getting hung up and not returning to its normal position. That has happened on my 682x. Might need a little cleaning or a little Rem oil. I doubt the the cocking rod spring is weak on a fairly new gun.

4. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

Things do get a little dry in there. Pull the stock off and lube things up in there.

5. rapid86

rapid86 Well-Known Member

I had a similar problem on my 682X where the top barrel wouldn't fire reliably. It had to do with the collars on the hammer spring not being adjusted properly.

Lagrue thanked this.
  6. Shane317

Shane317 Member

If all else fails, send it to Cole Gunsmithing. They do great work, with a quicker than average turnaround time

Lagrue thanked this.
  7. Lagrue

Lagrue Member

Ended up we started shooting some sub oz loads. They weren't resetting the triggers on the gun. Nothing wrong with it. Went back to 1 oz loads it was fine.

8. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Your original post said the gun snapped when the trigger was pulled. If it snapped the hammer dropped. It wasn't the shells not resetting. Now if the shooter trapped the trigger so that the inertia block can't function properly the second bbl won't fire, but it won't snap when the trigger is pulled either. If the load is too light the inertia block may not travel far enough to reset to the second sear tail either. But if it is not setting it won't snap.

Folks tried to help you based on faulty information you provided. So their answers didn't fit the real problem. Please try to be more accurate with problem descriptions in the future.

9. Lagrue

Lagrue Member

OK internet police

Shootin'coach thanked this.
  10. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Way to go. Very intelligent reply.

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Friend of mine ran into the same thing with his 682. He hates recoil, so began playing around with light loads. Pretty soon the inertia block quit switching barrels, and the next thing I knew he had traded it off on a Perazzi. Not sure why this seems to be Berettas that do this., although my Citori did it one Spring after over-oiling it for it's winter snooze. If you're not familiar with "working under the hood", find another Beretta owner to help you. If the problem returns, maybe a trip to Coles would be the best. You'll get 'er figured out.

Bob Falfa

12. chipped99

chipped99 Well-Known Member

My 682x was doing the exact same thing. Phillip gave it a little touch up and I went up 1\2 grain of powder on my first shot for doubles and the problem has been rectified! Don't know if the extra bump of powder or Phillip's handy work cured it but really don't care. It's not mis firing any longer.

13. berettaclayshooter83

berettaclayshooter83 TS Member

My 682 will reset shooting 28ga through tubes after all new springs. It really depends on what velocity your shooting. When I dabbled in 7/8 Oz loads I loaded them hot so I would at least get about 7,000psi. This was before Extra lite powder.