1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

687 j.e.g

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rmccartyjr, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmccartyjr

rmccartyjr TS Member

what should i use on the wood of the 687 2 keep it in good shape

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I like to use Martin Guitar polish. It is thin liquid wax and does not seem to build up like furniture wax, and is unscented. I have used the same small bottle on guns and guitars for about 5 years. Good Luck

3. rmccartyjr

rmccartyjr TS Member

even on unfinished wood like the 687

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Your 687 has an oil finish which can be touched up with any stock finishing oil.

Ed

5. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

The surface seems to be very porous tho?? pics to folo

6. Frank C

Wouldn't the "wax" fill the pores and leave a white residue???

7. AveragEd

I can't tell from the photo if your gun has a gloss or matte oil finish. Ones from a few years ago (like my son's) are glossy while later guns have a matte-appearing finish. If yours is matte like mine, I can shed some light on the porosity. I recently had my 687 JEG combo's wood refinished by a local stockmaker and can pass along what he told me.

First of all, he swears the wood on my gun, which has the EELL upgrade, is 300 year-old Turkish Walnut. There is a long and interesting story regarding the origin of this wood but he said he has seen it at wood sales he has attended. Yours may have it as well. Anyway, Beretta rubs the wood with clay to fill the pores before applying oil to it. The clay makes the finish dull and really doesn't do a great job of filling the pores.

He sanded mine and left some sanding dust on it when he rubbed in the first coat of oil, allowing the dust and oil mixture to fill the pores. The end result was much fewer and finer visible pores (all oil finishes leave some) and a much more glossy finish. A surprising amount of previously invisible figure came out that he said was being hidden by the "muddy" finish (his descriptive) that was there before. The difference is nothing short of remarkable!

I also felt that the pistol grip was too short for me, as I have wide-ish hands and my little finger was always under the grip. He agreed, so he fabricated an extension for it from Buffalo horn that curls slightly forward. That really made the gun more comfortable to grip.

Try rubbing one area of your stock with mineral spirits, which is what he did to mine when I showed it to him. If you see more figure than before, you have the same finish I had.

Ed

8. Frank C

Mine was purchased from Joel E 3 yrs ago....not a gloss finish, I shot the pic with a Magnifying glass in front of the digi cam....
    the pic shows the 687 on top, old BT with gloss on bottom

9. AveragEd

Goose, the later ones have a duller oil finish than the earlier ones. Mine was from his 2008 run and it was a matte-like finish compared to my son's, which was made in 2005. As I stated above, mine is now glossy.

I initially tried cleaning it with wood polish and got a lot of dark brownish-black stuff off of it but the finish appeared to be cloudy instead of clear. That's what motivated me to show it to a stockmaker.

Ed

10. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i use clenzoil black bottle purchased at cabelas for wood and steel- it works

11. rmccartyjr

rmccartyjr TS Member

12. Frank C

Ed, can you post a pic of your redone stock?

13. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

Hi Ed,

I would also like to see your stock. Thanks,

Dale

14. AveragEd

I do want to take an "after" photo of it and will do so as soon as I have time. I have numerous "before" photos I took for the review I did on the gun. I'll post both as soon as I can.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.