1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

687 Firing problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by T-rauw, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-rauw

T-rauw TS Member

I was trying to shoot doubles with my JEG 687 SP2,first shot is fine but the second barrel will not fire no matter which one I shoot first. Just wondering what could cause this problem, any info appreciated.

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

There is an inertia block (part 90 on above schematic) that swings to engage the sear for the second firing mechanism as the first barrel is fired.

There are several springs, but it is the recoil of the gun that actually makes this happen (during recoil things at rest tend to stay at rest so the inertia block 'stays' put - the rest of the gun moves around it and allows it to set up for the second shot).

Are you using a normal load, or a really light one?? That can sometimes be a problem (not so likely on Berettas)

A simple test.

With the gun EMPTY fire the first barrel, now smack the butt of the stock with your palm. This needs to be a decent hit. You should hear a slight click as the block engages the sear for the second barrel.

Sometimes this mechanism gets out of whack - needs a trip to a Beretta-friendly gunsmith.

Where are you located??

3. T-rauw

T-rauw TS Member

Thanks for the info, I will give that a try to see if that is the problem I think my loads are strong enough 1 1/8 1180 Fps, I am located near milwaukee WI.

4. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

I had the same problem with a 687 EELL I had bought.The gunsmith said it was hanging up on the sear and he had to do some filing.I could get the top barrel to go if I tapped the buttplate on the ground,it just needed the extra oomf I guess to free it from the sear..I even tried shooting Rio Handicap loads,still no go.

5. larryjk

larryjk Member

I was shooting an occasional round of skeet with a Beretta S686 with 410er tubes in the barrels. Sometimes it would not set the second barrel because of lack of recoil. I talked to the folks at Briley and sent it to them for trigger work. I don't know what they do but they say they do not make the triggers mechanical. I can hold the gun level without shells in the barrels and pull either trigger very gently. The second barrel is always set. My hat is way off to those guys. Briley definitely knows what to do to Beretta triggers.

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Spring #98 actually pushes the inertia lever forward when the inertia block recoils back and releases the lever.

If after you dry fire the first barrel and thump the stock, I would bump it on the carpeted/rugged floor to be sure you get a good bump, the 2nd barrel will not dry fire, most likely spring #98 is broken.

It is not hard to change out once some one shows you how and you have the right tools.

Jason

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Send it to Cole's in Maine. They're top notch.

8. srp41

srp41 Member

Hey , had the same problem ,lost a few birds over it ,on the second shot let go of the trigger fully ,i was shooting to fast and not letting go of the trigger,there's nothing wrong

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

srp might be onto something there. I've heard of that problem more than once.

Before you take it in, see if anyone else shooting it has the same problem.

10. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

#98-Inertia block lever spring...90% of the time

11. T-rauw

T-rauw TS Member

I tried hitting the butt stock to see if that was it but that did not work, so I think when singles is over I'll will bring it in. also thinking of putting on a bump buster any pros or cons.

Thanks Troy

12. leadvail

leadvail Member

Frank C,
    I own 4 Berettas between me and my wife. Bought some springs earlier to have on hand. Excellent refrence. Thanks for the info! Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.