1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

687 Cast Issue

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Portagee Shooter, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Portagee Shooter

Portagee Shooter Member

I have a 687 SP that I am having trouble with lining up the beads horizontally. I am a 2 eyed RH shooter & when the gun is mounted, the beads appear like a over lapping sideways figure 8, center bead to the right. The gun has an adjustable comb & adj recoil pad. The stock has had wood removed to aid in this issue, though I don't feel comfortable removing any more. My question is do I send the wood to get the inletting adjusted, try having the stock bent or look for another stock w/ sufficient cast. I'm in CA, so I'd appreciate any recommendations for a gunsmith or if someone has stock for sale, please let me know. Any advice is appreciated.

Lyle

2. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

If you cannot dial in enough "cast off" to properly align the beads and your eye using the adjustable comb and with some wood removal even, then you might be able to have some cast added to the stock by having it bent. You could look into some qualified stock makers (such as Wenig) who might be able to do this for you. A better solution, albeit more expensive, would be to have a custom stock made for you (Wenig does this also) which would have the correct cast built in along with comb height, LOP, and all other critical measurements to fit you since you apparently require something well beyond standard available dimensions.

Jim R

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Lyle, with the sanding already done on it the stock's not worth all that much. Why would you not feel comfortable taking off more? It's just wood and that's what files and sandpaper are for. Even if you go through to the bolt hole, you were going to buy another one anyway, right?

Neil

4. Portagee Shooter

Portagee Shooter Member

Neil, I guess my concern is the area around the posts of the comb becoming exposed or cracking. I'm down to no more than 1/8" when looking down upon the posts. Since dealing w/ my stock & speaking w/ other 687 owners. these Berettas they have a pretty hollowed out stock & I was being cautious. I have read some posts about adjusting/sanding the inlet or ear area of the stock to create a type of cast off but from what I remember, the potential cons of doing this outweigh the the pros? Is this a correct assumption?
    Thanks, Lyle

5. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I had my stock bent, it worked out great, it fits perfect now.

If you have this done or do it your self, use a straight edge to set your comb parallel to the rib, it will looking like it is crooked because the stock is at a angle, took me a bit to figure this out!!(along with getting beat up)!

go for it, you will wonder why you didn't do it in the first place.

tony

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a left handed stock. Maybe you could work out a trade with a lefty who has a right handed stock. HMB

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Portagee shooter, when you say you are within 1/8 inch of the posts, I'd stop there too. HMB has a point, I think. You have looked down the gun and made a mental projection of the rib and determined that the butt is in the center or the right, haven't you? The thing is, I've taken a bunch off the "face" of a lot of 682 stocks and never had a problem with finding them "hollowed out" or anything like that. Maybe the 687's are different, I don't know.

"Thinning" a stock has been a better solution for me than bending since it's an example of an "offset" comb instead of "cast" and I think it's preferable, in general, as long as you can get enough offset.

Neil

8. Portagee Shooter

Portagee Shooter Member

Guys,
    Yes it is a right handed stock as I have looked down the rib to the stock and the butt is to the side for a right handed shooter, along w/ having right handed palm swell. I'll gauge the thickness of the wood and make some decisions as to whether or not to sand a little more. Just in case, does anyone out there have a 687 stock they're interested in selling?

Thanks again, Lyle

9. fracdog

fracdog TS Member

Hey Portagee shooter, I noticed your collard shirts fit at the ca state shoot. Shuffles says to buy a Pgun with some of the carrot money. Good luck with your stock u have a title to defend in Santa Maria.

10. Portagee Shooter

Portagee Shooter Member

Fracdog, LOL. I knew it was just a matter of time before I'd hear from the gang. By "Shuffles", you must mean Mr. 9 guns in 3 yrs. I may be heading that way but for now, I'll stay w/ the "squirrel gun". LOL

Lyle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.