1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

682X barrel problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by EvansK, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvansK

EvansK Member

Hi guys,
    I shoot an older Beretta 682X Super Trap. This senior, has only been shooting trap for a short time. One of the old pros in my club, suggested that I utilize the lower barrel, so as to reduce the perceived recoil. I did as he suggested, with dismal results. I then went to the pattern board, and discovered that my lower barrel shoots way to the left. Even with switching out chokes, only about 10 percent of the pattern was on the bird and was low. I shoot lefty & shooting freehand or from a rest, the results were pretty much the same. The upper barrel shoots a beautiful pattern 70 percent high. The serial no. of the gun is H010xxB. The bottom of the barrels are numbered 21935BB. The upper barrel has Super Trap 12ga. 23/4"- 30" stamped over the upper left chamber. My question is, can anything be done to correct this, or must I purchase a new set of barrels? If there is a fix, could someone recommend a competent smith. I plan to be at the Silver Dollar this coming Jan. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, and I will thank you all in advance for your help.

EvansK

2. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Briley can make you a custom choke(s) to shoot were you want it to and what ever constriction(s) you want.

Jason

3. EvansK

EvansK Member

Thanks Jason.

4. fnj682

fnj682 Member

If the barrels are still in original condition, Beretta might stand behind them and correct the problem. It wouldn't hurt to give them a call.

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Shoot the top barrel. The recoil is the same.

Neil

6. EvansK

EvansK Member

The barrels have been ported.

7. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I agree with Waverider. You may NEED to shoot the bottom barrel sometime if you happen to break a firing pin or an ejector on the top. Larry Evans

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Waverider has it. The only other option is not viable for that price level gun. If it was a Best Quality double they would take it apart and put it back together right.

HM

9. EvansK

EvansK Member

Hi Shawn,
    Sometimes good advice is hard to swallow. Upon reflection, what you said makes a lot of sense. When you figure the cost of a custom choke, or a new set of barrels & a new leather comb, plus a tune up utilizing all new springs, It just might make sense to retire my Beretta.
    EvansK

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

You could use the defect to your advantage. Shoot the top barrel for singles and handicap. Shoot the top barrel for the first bird in doubles and always shoot the right bird first in doubles. That way your second doubles bird will be moving to the left and you have a barrel that shoots to the left.

I also suggest that you confirm the lower barrel shoots to the left by shooting at least 10 shots from a solid rest and use a paper target that is 13 yards away.

Pat Ireland

11. EvansK

EvansK Member

Thanks Pat. This is why I love this website. It's just a wealth of information. Experienced competitors taking the time out to help out others. Pat, I'm going to try out your suggestions.
    EvansK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.