1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

682 trigger problem,alittle help?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by THE-PLUMBER, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THE-PLUMBER

THE-PLUMBER TS Member

have a berreta 682 gold e and went to shoot double today and could not get the second shot off.
    The hammer's will fall if i use the selector and switch frome barrel to barrel.
    I took out the reciever and gave it a blast of gun scubber just to see if there was some crap in it,with no different out come.
    Is there a anershia spring or something that has failed??
    Going to illinois state shoot next week and wonder if i should see a gun smith as my first stop and just pull the old super x out for double's until the repair can be made.
    Any insight that you have would be greatfull.

thank you
    alan prokopek

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club. Whenever a Beretta owner tries to master doubles and settles on a logical load for the first shot (1 0z), this comes up quite frequently. The most reliable solution to this is conversion to mechanical triggers for your gun. Unfortunately, I can't remember the guy that does this - seems like it's someone from Minnesota? It won't be long before you'll have the real answer on here.

With the Illinois State Shoot being next week, I'd try going back to a 1 1/8 oz load until you have time to get the triggers changed. Maybe a high velocity 1 oz load (Fiocchi used to make a 1300 FPS) will work the inertia trigger properly. You'll have to experiment. Good luck.

3. doubleman

doubleman Member

There is a small hair spring on the trigger that causes the mechanism to switch to the second barrel, that is what is causing your problem. Its an easy fix and a common 682 issue.
    Regards
    Mike

4. JH

JH Well-Known Member

I was having that problem with a 682 and I realized I had changed to a different trigger blade and was dragging the trigger.....I switched trigger blades (provided with the gun from Beretta) and became a bit more conscious of not dragging the trigger and had no problems afterward.....

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It is a broken inertia reset spring. These are fairly inexpensive and easy to replace once you know how. You probably still have time to get the parts from Cole's (buy at least 4 of them because shipping costs more than the springs).

Look at the schematic on Cole's website and you should be able to figure out how to do the job. A complete action teardown is not required. If you have a good gunsmith that does this kind of work it is about a 15 minute job.

Now if you don't feel like taking this on yourself and you can't get a smith to do it in time then you better go to plan B as that 682 isn't going to work for doubles until you fix this problem. (it isn't an ammo problem).

These inertia reset springs have a life expectancey of about 15K rounds so you really should learn how to change them out yourself.

6. froidguy

froidguy TS Member

send it off to pat laib in minnesota and get a mech cocker for your second barrel and be done with the recoil set hammer . adam danielson

7. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

If it worked a few times then it may not be the first shot ammo. To make sure that it is not the ammo or trapping the trigger, with an empty gun, double checked that it is empty, pull the trigger on the first barrel, bump the recoil pad on the ground, then see if the second barrel will fire.

Or you can pull the stock again. There is a lever in front of the inertia block. When the first barrel is fired the inertia block moves back, releasing the lever that switches the barrel. See if there is tension on the inertia lever or/and the inertia block.

Jason

8. Guard Rail

Guard Rail TS Member

I had the same problem. take the barrels off, and check to see if both of those chrome rods in the rec. push bach out by themselves. If that little spring behind them has failed the rod will stay in sometimes. When it does, part of the hamer lick goes out that rod causing a light primer tap.

If you occasionally get what feels like a 15# trigger pull, that is something enterely different, your sears are worn. You can change them yourself, but it is a pain.

9. leadvail

leadvail Member

I was looking at Coles schematic. Is it # 48, the safety spring? or #66/#67. I was going to get me some to have on hand. I have heard about this happening a few times and think I better get a few. Bob

Must be #66. Sold out!

10. THE-PLUMBER

THE-PLUMBER TS Member

Thank's guy's,i did try the bump on the ground to see if it would work,and it did not.
    I know it's not the ammo for if the 3 dr shell did not set it i don't know what else would.
    I guess i will try to order the the spring and have them with me for next week and maybe i can get Stew Wright to put one in once i arrive.
    If there is some else i should be doing please let me know for i Just started getting dialed in again and really do not want to have to shoot my back-up the whole time next week.

thank's
    alan

11. THE-PLUMBER

THE-PLUMBER TS Member

ding ding ding
    wolf ram has the right answer
    broke gun down and just can see the ring left of spring
    coles break down still unclear of the orientation of the spring though.
    order part's and there way.
    may brave an atetempt.

thanks again
    alan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.