1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

682 stock damage

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by emm2, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emm2

emm2 Member

I have a 682 gold e that was dropped in the gravel this weekend. The gun has the shiny stock, is there anything that will strip this off so I can refinish it with oil or should I just buy a new stock and forearm? Thanks Shane

2. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

You might consider having the stock professionally refinished by John Fittinger (click on website, above, phone # 971 570 6597) or by Leroy Liess (503 631 8640).

3. 700X-user

700X-user Member

Shane,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I had an old timer tell me that scratches and dents add character to a gun. I'm sure that doesn't make you feel any better but I tried!

Ed

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

An common epoxy type chemical stripper available at any good hardware store should remove anything on there. Sometimes it takes more than one coat but it will eventually get it all. Look for tiny reflective sparkles after every attempt, that is finish still adhering.

5. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

circa 1860 strippa will work with a brush and later steal wool.

6. emm2

emm2 Member

Thanks for the replies, what kind of oil would you recommend going back with? Yeah Ed it is character but a lot of it right now, more like chicken pox.

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I'm a pretty big fan of Kramer's.

The hype ... isn't. It's good stuff. I've turned some dry, dull 19th & 18th century timber into shootable works of art with it.

Pretty water- and weather-proof, too.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.