1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

682 or XT??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BMC, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BMC

BMC Member

Which would you choose and why? I've narrowed down my choices for my next O/U and these are the two finalists..682 combo or an XT Trap. Pros? Cons? Thanks
    Brian.

2. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Both are great guns, I shot both before I bought and just really love my 682. I never could get the XT adjusted to fit me right. It is really just a matter of preference. In my area I see more berettas than any other.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

To me it would depend on how much shooting you are going to do...the design of the 682 theoretically has the potential to be rebuilt and retightened unlimited times..

4. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

What mr. mark said, they are both great guns. It depends on witch one is the best for you will depend on a few things. witch one fits you the best, witch one has the best price. Onother thing to look at would be customer service by the manufacture and the selling dealer. I have a xt trap witch I am growing to like more and more every time I shoot it. I have not shot a 682 but I really like the looks of them. The beretta that I really like is the Joe Etchin 687 trap combo. Enough rambling. Both are very good guns.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've seen lots of folks complain of the extreme tightness of the Brownings fresh out of the box. A long break-in period just may be quite a distraction with a new gun. I'd give both guns a serious test drive on the field and at the gun store to see how they feel new out of the box as well....breakemall....Bob Dodd

6. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

BMC,

I'll give a plug for Browning here, I still shoot my Special Edition Trap for doubles, and it's still working great after a good many years of hard shooting. I only needed to replace the hammer springs in it once or twice over the past...7 years (I didn't think it was THAT long, haha), and that's it. Berettas are nice, sure, but a few people have told me to stay away from the 682s, something to do with the monoblock. If that's the gun that fits you well, go ahead, because you will shoot better with it, but at least give the Browning a try. I used to shoot mine for all 3 events and that's the gun I ran my 1st registered hundred with and it got me to the 27. Good luck, I'm sure whatever you get you will be very happy with.

7. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Had a 682 a few years ago, it fit me fairly good. Picked up an xt 2 months ago. Did`nt fit at all. The only way I`ve started to hit with this gun was by fitting a new stock. Also it`s so tight your arms start to tire after 50 birds.

Wish I had kept the 682, or the SKB. Would`nt recomend brownings to anyone.

P.S. I know of 2 other shooters, that I shoot with ,same problems.

Tom R.

8. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

i was told by my local gun shop owner after i purchased a 682 rather than an XT, that i had made the right decision. he says that re-sale on the 682's is better than the XT's. i've never heard of monoblock issues on 682's. would like to hear more of what that's about.

brett d.

9. Mr. Marcy

Mr. Marcy TS Member

XT - all the way - the 682's are a good gun but they kick like an old mule!
    Mr. Marcy

10. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

BMC

If the stock on either one is properly fitted to you, the choice of either "macht nichts", you can shoot good scores with practice.

11. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

I have nothing bad to say about either gun. I have seen more than a few 682s that came out of the box and would not go bang twice. Bearing surfaces for the inertia block needed to be polished. The "tightness" of the brownings is due to the fact the fore-end is fitting to tightly. Just a tad of metal must be removed from the forearm hanger and the issue goes away. That metal is soft so go easy and keep checking the fit.

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Ford or Chevy??

13. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

I have 682 combo that I really like. Have had several Brownings, but not an XT, that I also liked.

Never heard or read anything about staying away from a 682 because of the mono bloc. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Jim

14. doctordennis

doctordennis TS Member

I've shot an XT since the first year they came out. Although it is not fine tunned from the factory and is somewhat stiff at first it has proven to be a fantasticlly dependable gun. I've had it converted to double release and custom stocked it myself with a left hand thumbhole from Wenig. The absolute best thing about the Browning is if you need parts they are available at Brownells and many other places at a very reasonable price. Although I haven't need any I do carry extra psrings and firing pins. If you just want the o/u let me know and I'll partner with you on the purchase so I can have the unsingle barrel.

15. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Ok, guys, I know I didn't say what I meant right now, I'll get back to you after I get back from the club tomorrow. Sorry.

16. BMC

BMC Member

Thanks for all of the opinions. They kinda were what I expected I would read, both being a good choice, making it really a matter of $ and preference. I'm going with the XT, mainly because I have shot a few rounds with one and enjoyed it. Again, thanks for the input.
    Brian.

17. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Ok, the guys at the club weren't much help, but they remembered what I was talking about, a few guns had the barrel crack just in front of the chamber. A friend of mine had it happen a few times on his Beretta, but as I was reminded today, Beretta fixes it no problem when that does happen. Sorry I didn't have it straight at first, though, guys.

18. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

consider a Beretta 687 Etchen combo, cheaper than the 682, prettier too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.