1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

682 or 687

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ollie j, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ollie j

ollie j TS Member

im thinking of getting a beretta combo. 682 or 687 silver pidgion anybody have one and how do you like it. thanks

2. aimless

aimless TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ollie
    I have both. Trigger is better on the 682, plus its adjustanle for LOP.
    Right now with close out pricing on gold e's they are cheaper than 687s.

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have a 682 combo. Great gun for the $$. I agree, there are some good deals out there on the 682. Ed

4. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

I shoot a 682 LTD. Like the post above, I like the LTD adjustable trigger assembly and the trigger feel better than the 687. I shot a friends 687 for a while when I was shopping for a new trap gun last year before buying the 682 LTD. Aesthetically, I don't care for the receiver design of the 682 Gold E. I like the looks of the 687 better, but, of course, that has absolutely nothing to do with how the gun shoots. If aesthetics is an issue for you, take look at the LTD, if you can find one. They only make 1500 per year. The LTD has a different receiver design than the Gold E. I had mine fitted by Ronnie Cox over in Simpsonville SC, added an adjustable butt plate and softer pad along with a mercury reducer. It shoots soft and true.I shot about 2.5k registered and another 7k non registered targets with this gun since buying it last year and have no issues with it at all. Joel Etchen was closing out their stock of Gold E's recently, but I have no idea if they have any left. I got what I still think was a great deal from Etchen on my LTD early last year when they were closing them out. Very good folks to deal with.

5. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

I have an older 682X Super Trap and a newer 687 unsingle combo. Actually I never noticed any difference in the triggers when switching over last May. My biggest issue was getting used to the larger and fatter stock on the 687 to compare to my Super Trap.

I never owned one the newer 682 Gold E’s so I really can’t compare between the two. Maybe Ed Clapper will respond to this one. I know he’s a big fan of the 687.

Dale

6. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

I bought my 687 Joel Etchen Special from Joel in September. have put several thousand rounds thru it since then and I love the gun. I am still using it set at the adjustments Joel did for me when I picked it up.

The trigger is nice as is and I don't miss the adjustable pull length of the 682. The 682's adjustable length trigger can be added to the 687 if you want,I think the trigger itself is less than 100.00 bucks.

The gun shoots soft for me,I have done no add ons at this point. I did have to get used to the gun as it feels lighter and is much better balanced than my last gun. I found myself swinging past or over the bird at first,now that I am used to it I like the balance and weight,I seem to have less fatique when shooting for several hours.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one,I preferred the engraved receiver of the 687.

John

7. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

I have a 682x super trap combo I would part with if you are looking for a used gun. Mark Mauch

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Joel's 687s and a 682E share everything except some appearance items and the position-adjustable trigger. Normal 687s do not have Optima barrels. Both are equally good guns and the choice basically comes down to which look you like better. I honestly prefer the 687 trigger because it feels a lot like the Krieghoff triggers I shot for almost 20 years before buying my 687 last fall - I think the 682 trigger shoes are flatter while the 687 is more rounded.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.