1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

682 NOT FIRING SECOND BARREL???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by st8shuter, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

I picked up a beretta 682x o/u, i shot it for the first time today and broke 100 straight in singles and 98 in doubles. the gun wouldnt repeatedly fire the second barrel for dbls any ideas what the problem is? it seems to work better but not 100 % when i let go of the trigger faster on the first shot, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

As a start, I'd remove the stock and clean and oil the action and trigger assembly. I would also conduct a bit of a visual inspection to see if everything is working ok.

ss

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I haven't seen you shoot but don't rule out the possibility that you are not releasing the trigger all the way. With a Beretta you must remove your finger from the trigger completely or the trigger won't switch over.

Remember I am not saying that this is definitely the problem but it could be as there is one very light spring that switches over if the spring is broken it usually won't switch over at all. Just something to check out.

Bob Lawless

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

IMHO - Berettas need to be converted to mechanical triggers. Coles in Maine is a good place to start and they will take care of it for you.

If you were to take your's apart, you will see the mating surfaces are quite rough and the knife edge on the inertia block has too much surface area. But the good news is that good smiths can take care of it.

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I agree on the possibility of not releasing the trigger all the way. Had a guy I shot sporting clays with do this with a Browning Citori. Took it all apart, cleaned it all up, regreased. Took it out and watched him shoot. I noticed he would not release the trigger right after shooting the first bird. The trigger would not reset with the shot.(Inertia Trigger)

6. Guard Rail

Guard Rail TS Member

Chrome rods in reciever push in and see if they come back out. Bad spring will cause this. At least it did on mine.

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Most of the 68x (intermittent) trigger issues I have ever seen or experienced are either filthy, or are related to a little cat's-whisker spring down in the innards.

When you pull the butt, a lot of possibles will be eliminated: shake it & whap it over a spread-out sheet to catch any spare spring-pieces. If it is the spring, it's a DIY job (once you know how).

At this point, I'd suspect ancient grease & powder goo ... or, in your excitement of a new good-shooter, you trapped the trigger (as above).

Coles, Briley, Gun Dr ... can clean a Beretta trigger right up.

Bob

8. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

st8shuter, I too have a 682X and have the same problem. I have found you must REALLY relax off the trigger on the first shot to allow it to set for the second shot. I also removed the stock to clean everything well and did discover some of the gold "flaked" off some parts.

Clean it good, remember to let go and it should be fine.

Mike Adcock

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

For inertia triggers to work, they usually require that the first load fired be substantial enough for the trigger to work. If you are shooting REAL light loads on the first shot of doubles, try shooting a different (standard) load and seeing if that works. I'll certainly agree that Mechanical is the way to go.

10. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Mechanical triggers. Problem gone. Coles did mine. Nubs Wagner

11. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Some people ride the trigger and don't release it completely, this happens when you are in a hurry or think you are. It's real hard to have a trigger problem on doubles with a Perazzi.

12. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

The internals can hang up on the wood or there can be a burr on the parts so the block doesnt move right

If you are mechanically inclined take off the stock and see how the blocks move

I had a great deal on a brand new (used 1 owner) because of a burr here

I was able to clean it up without disassembly and it is fine now

regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta second barrel not firing

second barrel not reseting when using light loads

winchester not firing second barrel