1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

682 Inertia block/trigger question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TLC Flying, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TLC Flying

TLC Flying TS Member

The second trigger does not release on occasion. Is it because of 1 ounce loads or something else? Any input would be appreciated. BW

2. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I have been shooting Beretta's for a few years,,,I have had problems with lite 1 oz and 7/8 oz loads that were made for first shot in doubles,,,,triger would not set for second shot,,,,can be converted to mechanical trigers,,,try Coles

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Before you do anything, change your selector and shoot your other barrel first.

If you still get a failure to reset, you have a trigger block problem. If the problem goes away, you may have a worn sear or other parts.

Knowing which it is will help Coles when you send it for service.

With this said, a mechanical trigger is more likely to fan fire than the original inertia trigger.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If the trigger does not set for the second shot you can try adding a little weight to the inertia block. A little square of lead tape stuck to the side of the block works well. The tape is called swing weight tape and is available at your local golf pro shop. HMB

5. sturgeon

sturgeon Member

TLC, If your Beretta works with loads other than one ounce help is at hand. Beretta make a light inertia block spring (molla massa) for just such problem. I fitted several when light loads appeared in the uk. I cannot remember the part number , the only difference being the lighter gauge of wire used. The part number is something like C54221/2 ???? ...no need to mess with anything else. Steve B

6. oz

oz Active Member

cole can do a mechanical trigger. excellent. oz

7. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Spring is cheaper than a trigger job. Sturgeons right..

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If the trigger block is not resetting due to low recoil, the spring is the way to go. I would still diagnose it first. Make sure it fails to reset with either barrel, then it is likely the trigger block.

9. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

My 682 was doing the same thing. I took the trigger apart and polished up the rough edges on the inertia block, cleaned it all up and lightly oiled. Works great now and sets the second trigger fine.
    Good luck with it.

Mike

10. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Take the stock off and observe the inertia block lever (just forward of the inertia block). The lever has to rotate somewhat up and forward to set the second trigger. Cock both triggers, release one, and manually rotate the inertia block rearward. If the lever spring is weak or broken, the lever won’t jump forward. Cole has the spring if needed but putting it in is a bitch.

Good luck.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If this is a problem that has just recently developed, as in the gun use to work well, then my guess is that the lower end of the inertia reset spring has broken off and needs to be replaced. New springs are available from Beretta USA at low cost, get two or three of them. Replacing the spring requires you to get into the lockwork and that is a bit intimidating, you may want to have a pro do this. A mechanical conversion is also an option you may want to consider.

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Many Many Many times I have seen people not release the trigger enough - they swear they have but I can visually see they havent- and it wont fire the second shot

regards from Iowa

Gene

13. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

several months ago I posted about replacing the spring.....I can do one now in 15 minutes with a toothpick and a piece of dental floss. If it comes to it, let me know and I will explain. (toothpick and floss....I am NOT kidding) Frank C.

14. Frank C

july 24th thread....FC

15. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Lots of good gunsmiths will fix a 682. Gun Dr. on this forum is one, Coles in Maine is another. If the gun has always had this problem, there is some polishing that needs to be done, if gun has worked fine and has developed this problem - it needs repair. Either way, going to mechanical triggers will fix the problem.

16. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Could be stock wood swelling and interference with the block or other debris as well. Some people oil the gun too much and stand it up. Oil runs into the stock at the receiver.

best regards

ps my 2005? 682 skeet model (dunno bout yours) worked well even with 410 tubes

17. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

by the way, how do I pull up the July 24 thread on the spring change?

We do have other berettas and so far they all work with 7/8 oz light loads.

Dunno about 410 in all of them

thanks!

18. Frank C

here you go bruce

Subject: Beretta 687 will not fire 2nd barrel Help Pls.
    Email:
    Date: Thu, Jul 24, 2008 - 09:34 PM ET
    Website Address:

Wolfram, I spoke with Ed Haley aka Tammers and taking his advice I used what I now call the "toothpick and dental floss" technique, the 1/4 inch piece of toothpick holds the spring in place in the inertia block and a loop of floss is used to lift up the tab end of the spring so it will lay backwards towards the rear of the gun, gentle pressure on the floss will lift the spring/tab and the inertia block falls easily into place, then just easily push out the toothpick with the pin and cut and slide out the floss.......10 minutes and good as new!!! Thanks to ALL for the advice, the floss is the key to tensioning the spring! Frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adding weight to beretta inertia block