1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

682 hard to close?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lilboss1970, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lilboss1970

lilboss1970 Member

I just bought a demo or Y beretta and am having trouble with it closing with a shell in the bottom chamber. The shells are gunclub reloads and they chamber fine in the top barrell. I think that the shells are just hanging up as you close it like the brass is not resized right. Have tried an sts shell and it is a little easier but still acts like it is hanging up a little. I was thinking of trying to polish the bottom barrell a bit and see if that would help. Any advise would be appreciated.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Don't polish anything in the chamber. Check if the extractor/ejector is retracting all the way and that there isn't any material build where that part rests against the barrel assembly. Also check the lower firing pin hole, if the pin is protruding from the face of the breach it is broken or the firing pin spring is gone and repairs need to be made.

The gun club shells shouldn't be a problem if you are resizing them, if you are loading unsized shells fired from other guns they very well could cause chambering problems. Was the STS you tried factory loaded?

3. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Been shooting a 682 since 2002. Never had the problem that you described. Need additional information.

What do you mean by: demo or Y Beretta? Please explain.

Questions.

With the barrel sets removed from the stock can you push the ejectors flush?

With the barrel sets removed from the stock put an EMPTY shell in the barrel. Than, can you push the ejectors flush?

Without any shells in the gun, does the gun close OK?

If YES to the above I am at a loss to help you. Suggest you see a reputable gun smith.

Frank

4. lilboss1970

lilboss1970 Member

It closes fine with no shell in the chamber. I cleaned the chamber and it seems to close easier. I think that it had some hardened grease that wasn't letting the shell fall when it was closed.

The Y guns are demos from what I understand. They are used at big shoots or magazine tests etc. then sent back to factory and checked over and then sold.
    This one looked like only the top barrell had been fired and only had a small blemish in the comb. I gave under 2k for it, wasn't planning on buying one but looked like a good deal. This was a 682 gold e trap.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Wolfram covered all the bases- good advice

I was unclear if it does this with new shells? or only the reloads?

Have you tried new shells?

One thing that does reduce wear and make any O/U easier to close is just put a light touch of grease on the back of the extractor/ejectors and on the breach face

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I have a friend with the same problem in his 687. The shell catches where the brass meets the plastic. So bad sometimes it bends the brass. To date he does not know why other than guessing the resize is not quite right. Please post the solution if you find out what's wrong so I can pass it on to him. By the same token I'll post here if he finds the solution.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have seen several Beretta O/U's with a sharp edge at the breech end of the chamber. One must put a small taper on the rear of the chamber, and properly resize the shell.

If this occurs with factory ammo, the gun might need to go back to Beretta where they will put a small taper on the rear of the chamber.

8. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

lilboss1970,

I had a similar problem with reloads in the bottom barrel of my 682. Turns out the problem was primers not seated fully in the hull. They stuck out just enough to cause the hard closing problem. They weren't a problem in the top barrel. Check your reloads with a straightedge to see if the primers are flush with the base of the hull. Another good way to tell is to set the hulls upright on a flat surface. If they don't sit flat; rock easily and continue to rock after a slight push, you need to adjust your reloader to seat the primers a little deeper in the pocket of the hull. Hope this helps.

9. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Mine did that but the firing pin hole took a bite out of the brass as the rim passed the hole. I found the recess cut in the ejector would not allow the rim to move forward enough to pass the firing pin hole.See if yours do that.

I used a composition polishing point in the hole to smooth the edge and modified the ejector slightly to allow shell to move forward slightly. You have to avoid plugging up the FP hole with dust as I dont know how to remove the pins to clean out. Not something without risk of ruining the ejector

Doesnt mean that is your issue, just mine. It might have resolved itself if I let it.

regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.