1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

682 gold vs 687 JEG

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pjbosh, Feb 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjbosh

pjbosh Member

If you had the option to purchase a normal beretta 682 trap combo or one of JEGs 687s which would you choose and why.

2. markc2

markc2 Member

I have both. There is no doubt that I enjoy my JEG much more. It is a tremendous gun for the money. Markc2

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I was in the same position deciding between a 682 or JEG 687. After thinking over it for a good month or two we purchased two JEG 687s this week. I just couldn't find a better gun in that price range and from what others have said they are the best bang for the buck in trap guns.

4. pjbosh

pjbosh Member

Thanks guys, does anybody else have some input, pros or cons. Are there any major mechanical differences between the 682 and 687?

5. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

JEG hands down. I wanted an adjustable gracoil on my gun. They had about a half dozen that the adj comb hadn't been cut yet. I picked out the one I wanted and told Mark the gunsmith what LOP I shot. He cut it off where my LOP was right in the middle of the adjustable range, reshaped the Monte Carlo, & cut the comb all right there in house.

6. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

PJ,

The 682 is a TRUE COMPETITION gun...more like the DT-10. I own and shoot three of the older S682X models...hands down best bang for the buck, and I've shot them all! The 687 EELL is nice looking, but the "side plates" are not functional and there is a problem with the butt stock chipping and splitting on either side of the top lever. I can show you three stocks from my stock maker buddy's trash can that split in half. If the wood is not 100% releaved, there's a problem...no such issue with the 682. Much better design and they last forever.

7. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

The only differences between the 682 Gold receiver and the JEG 687 receiver are the exterior decorations/engraving, and the JEG does not come with the adjustable trigger (although it can be retro-fitted and JEG does have it available). The buttstock differs a bit in that JEG specifies slightly different comb dimensions more commensurate with American shooter prefrences. The JEG 687 barrels are the 682 Gold barrels fitted to the 687 receiver.

All in all, the JEG 687 combo is, in my opinion (and I own one) simply the best "bang for the buck" available and will last a lifetime if taken care of.

8. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

JEG, is that Joel Etchen Guns?

Oscar

9. pjbosh

pjbosh Member

yes Oscar, I am asking about Joel Etchens 687s

10. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Frank,

Yes...I am talking about the 687 EELL.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

JEG 687s are not the same gun at all. I have heavily promoted Joel's special-run trap combos through gun reviews and my columns in Shotgun Sports Magazine - if there was a problem with the stocks, I would be inundated with emails about it! I own two 687 JEG combos myself - a top single and an unsingle. I bought the top single for our son in 2005; he liked it so much that I bought the unsingle for myself in 2008. Although I previously owned eight Krieghoffs and feel that they are fine guns backed by fine service, I really don't miss them a bit.

There is very little mechanical difference between the JEG 687 Silver Pigeon II and the 682 Gold E - the position-adjustable trigger is about it. The big differences are in appearance. It boils down to whether you like the more futuristic look of the 682's receiver or the more traditional, slightly "upgraded" look of the 687 Silver Pigeon II. Joel's 687SPIIS also offer EELL-grade wood as a very affordable option.

Ed

12. goose2

goose2 Active Member

I owned a je 687 combo and my stock never cracked or splintered nor have I ever heard of such a thing with the je 687.

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The 687's where not the problem stocks. The ones that Smok'n Joe is referring to I believe are the sidelock models. The JEG 687 with the oil rubbed looking finish, it seems the finish is not real durable. It wears at the cheek part of the stock, from stubble and sweat. At least that is what happened to a freind of mines stock after three years. They are however a great combo gun, at a very good price. Jon

14. AveragEd

The factory oil finish pretty much sucks. It looks muddy, hides figure and isn't very durable. Back when Joel started ordering these combos, Beretta used a glossy urethane finish but Joel wanted something that looked different and was easily user-repaired, so he specified oil finish. Those finishes were good - our son's is seven years old with no wear showing.

Apparently, Beretta either liked the oil look better or received requests for it, as they changed the 682s over to it in 2007 (maybe?). But it isn't the same oil finish and a lot of buyers of those guns have had them refinished. Mine had it, too, and it also was refinished in oil and looks a lot better.

The photo below shows our son's oil-finished JEG 687SPII (bottom) and mine before I had it refinished.

[​IMG]

Mine shows a lot more figure, color and depth after being refinished.

[​IMG]

From the photos in an ad on here for a near-new 682 Gold E, it might be safe to speculate that Beretta has returned to the old urethane finish for that gun, as its wood does not appear to have an oil finish.

At $150 to $350 (he price range I've found), having one of those guns refinished still doesn't make the gun "expensive" compared to other trap combos.

Ed

15. ryan_687

ryan_687 TS Member

was in the same situation a little while back...couldnt be happier with the jeg 687! Great gun at a better price! Does anyone know what the 687 recevier is...nickel or stainless??

Thanks,
    Ryan

16. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have both guns. I first bought the JEG combo and my wife took it. So I wanted another one but not the same. I then got the 682 Gold E combo. Now we can tell them apart. Both gun had no problems.

17. AveragEd

They were locally made.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.