1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

682 Gold E vs JEG 687

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mdhunter, Jun 27, 2013.

1. mdhunter

mdhunter TS Member

Just curious what the major differences are between these two beretta's? Is there any major differences besides the engraving and wood? I have been trying to do as much research, but I am having trouble finding any specs on 687 trap models. Thanks

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

They are special-order guns, pretty much identical to the 682 Gold E mechanically but with different cosmetics. The stocks are shaped a little differently and their choke package contains two I/Ms and one Full instead of the other way around. An EELL wood upgrade is also available on the 687 that is not found on many 682s. Pricing is about the same.

Ed

3. mdhunter

mdhunter TS Member

If the 687 is special order etc. why are the prices the same?

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Call Etchen and ask them....

Curt

5. AveragEd

It no surprise that the special-run 687 Silver Pigeon II trap combos have been so wildly successful for Joel Etchen. The 682 Gold E is by no means an ugly gun but a lot of people seem to prefer the more conservative or traditional look of the 687 SPII receiver and checkering pattern over the futuristic look of the 682. And a lot think it looks more "upgrade" than the 682. Factor in a very similar price point and you have the whole package. In fact, maybe four or five years ago, the last I compared their prices, the 687 SPIIs were a little less expensive!

Ed

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

The 687 SP II and III 's from Joel are by far the best deal out there...they are just heads and tails above the Gold Es ..same gun basically but with the 687 you get much nicer receiver engraving and add the EELL wood upgrade and the Gold E cant touch what you're getting for the money ..plus the JEG Specials as they are known are numbered edition..mine is #0627 if memory erves correct without having it in front of me

7. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Pull the receiver off both and compare. The 682 has heaver components.

Doc

8. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

I prefer the look of the 682 Gold E and the Etchen guns only come in an unsingle combo. I like a top combo better. Dale

9. CalvinMD

Hate to disagree Doc..nothing any different other than cosmetics on current manufactured guns..all internal components also identical..Joel Etchen and Beretta will verify this as will Ed who did a evaluation test for the magazine article..the heavier frame 682's were from the 80's (the old silver or black frame guns)..it really just comes down to what style floats your boat..classic or modern..both awesome guns

10. AveragEd

Calvin's right. Here are two photos that illustrate it.

The top one is of a 682 receiver with Allem's Roller releases and the bottom is of two 687 SPIIS, one with Roller releases and one without. I wish I had two identical photos of the two receivers but I don't.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everything looks the same to me except that the hammers are cocked in the 682.

Ed

11. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Ok, I stand corrected. My info is from borrowing a friend's 687 receiver to use while my 682 Gold E receiver was at Phillip Crenwelge's shop being rebuilt. I remember the hammers on the 687 being thinner and a bit smaller; old brain, i.e., crummy memory.

Doc

12. 548

548 Guest

I bought the 687 SPIII last August. It had the oil finish EELL wood which was very pretty. The problem I had was the grain on the comb must have been a little rough or something, but for whatever reason, the comb just ripped the skin off my cheek. I spent two months shooting with bandaids on my face. The pitch was wrong for me too and I couldn't bring myself to cutting the stock. So I took that fancy stock off and put it in the closet. Ashame because the nice wood was the factor that made me spend $4800 on the JEG -vs- $4200 on a 682 Gold E. I spent another $1300 for a PFS so that I could shoot the JEG. I figured once the PFS is bought, I can just put it on any future guns I have too, so no gripes on that.

Personally, knowing what I know now, I would have bought the 682 Gold E and put a PFS on it and still had at least $600 in my pocket.

13. CalvinMD

I'm one of those lucky people that a factory Beretta Monte Carlo fits like a glove..other than a hair of extra comb height to shoot my preferred POI I really wouldn't even need the adj. comb

14. AveragEd

548, why didn't you just have your factory stock refinished? I didn't care for the factory's oil finish - looked "muddy" and hid figure - so my local stockmaker refinished it and the forend in a nicer oil for $150.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The stock guy at Joel's does them, too.

Ed

15. 548

548 Guest

I still have the stock and when the day comes to sell the gun I'll put the stock back on for the next guy. Like I said, I just couldn't bring myself to cutting that pretty piece of wood for pitch and length of pull adjustments.

16. AveragEd

Hey, you paid for it and you bought it to shoot so let the next guy worry about it fitting him. If it's too short for him, a pad adapter like mine can add up to 1/2" and a thicker pad would add even more. The only trap guns I own that have "stock stocks" are my 870 Competitions because they seem to fit me nicely as is.

Ed

Search tags for this page

682 gold e joel etchen