1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

682 Gold E unsingle owners question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pat D, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Hello all,
    I have recently purchased the 682 Gold E unsingle combo. Someone brought to me attention that the dummy barrell on the unsingle had a hole where the firing pin of the top barrell would be. There's missing a piece of material there sort of a snapcap, so the firing pin would strike when dry firing both pins after use. Berretta is impossible to contact via phone so I e mailed them today. Do you owners have a piece there on the dummy barrell? I'm curious since Berretta doesn't recommend dry firing. Until they respond I like to hear from others to see what they have.

Thank you,
    Pat

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

my 687 has an empty hole Pat......ask Nino as well about his 682

3. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

In the Ou barrels it is simple Put in TWO snap caps pull the trigger on the first barrel then tap the butt on something to activate the inerita block to select the second trigger then Pull that trigger, now take off the forearm """ without re cocking the Gun """ take off the barrel now take the spring action off of the Main Lever by pressing that little protruding small piece of metal in as you relax the lever to center. Now for the Unsingle I just take the gun down COCKED, then I use a good Brass snap cap on the bottom barrel first then bump the Butt and move the snap cap to the upper firing pin Hole hold it against it and pull the second trigger then relax the center lever

4. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

Pat;

I don't even use the barrels when releasing the firing pin tension. I just take the receiver and hold a snap cap onto the bottom pin, pull the trigger to release into the snap cap. Then tap the butt pad onto something solid to set the upper pin, then hold the snap cap onto the upper pin to release that one. Takes about 10 seconds total.

Larry

5. Shoot-at-em

Shoot-at-em TS Member

How much damage or ware is done by dry firing?

Frank

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I asked that very question while at Beretta USA's headquarters in Maryland a month ago. Neither their manager of technical services nor their service manager had ever heard of a broken 68x firing pin.

Ed

7. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Thanks for all the replies,
    After the last reply from Ed, Beretta stating they never had a broken firing pin. That makes me wonder why in the manual they have emphasized with a triangle with the caution sign as not to dry fire the firearm. I have spoken with a well reknowned Beretta gunsmith and he stated that some have the nylon snapcap material in the hole and some don't. He told me they fall out and that's why there not all the same. Hopefully Beretta will just send me one.

Thanks again,
    Pat

8. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

I have a 682 Gold E Top single, with a hole where the bottom firing pin would strike..I have never seen a nylon piece for the hole, top or bottom single..LarryB

9. 682LINY

682LINY Member

If you dont want to bump the stock and have the barrel selector lock screw removed,,,,just pull triger and move selector and pull again

10. chadmillard

chadmillard TS Member

what the point of doing this? does it really help length the life of the spring?

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

By the way, my 687 Silver Pigeon II combo has an open hole there, too.

You know, it isn't tough to convert Beretta 68x triggers to mechanical. In fact, some of them are mechanical out of the box. A friend of mine and I bought our guns at the same time but his has mechanical triggers (mine does too, now that they are changed to releases). Beretta told me that is caused by what amounts to a very slight fitting error of the part that prevents the second trigger from setting unless the gun is fired. Some guns will only exhibit mechanical tendencies when fired with one barrel first but not the other, that's how minute the "error" has to be. Look your action over and you'll see what makes them set by recoil. As I said, changing them isn't tough.

Ed

12. RAScott

RAScott Member

Pat, you could cut the eraser off of a pencil and push it in the hole. keep it snug and it should work fine. I have a 687, and the hole is there. I called Joel E and they gave me that idea.
    I used to have a 682 and in the dummy barrel was a piece of rubber/nylon, it looked like a roll pin.
    Bob

13. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Much adoo about nothing. Springs wear out from compression cycles and or over compression way way more than just sitting there compressed. Releasing hammer springs on your shotgun makes little sense unless you are storing it for an extended amount of time, think years. And then they are the few idiots out there, none on ts.com thank goodness, that mistake a loaded shell for a snap cap and put a hole somewhere it don't belong.

Disagree if you want but how many of us jack our cars up at night to relieve the tension on the springs?

14. SZone3

SZone3 TS Member

I have had a 682ge combo top single for 3-4 years. Just had a hammer break after the first shot. Sure glad a did a practice round before I entered. Think it must be some of the dry firing I have done from time to time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

682 gold ehow many rounds befor they wear out