1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

680 series vs. 690

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John Henry, Dec 19, 2016.

1. John Henry

John Henry Well-Known Member

Just curious if anyone knows if there are any significant improvements over the 680 series in the new 690.

Are the trigger and internals pretty much the same?

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Not really, in fact I would consider the 690 a step backward in most respects. They no longer use two bolts to hold the trigger assy to the receiver, and the one bolt they now use has numerous reports of snapping in half, leaving you with a stock in one hand and a receiver/forend/barrel in the other, and a not-so-quick repair.

grntitan thanked this.
  3. John Henry

Ian, elaborate on that for me. Are you saying the bolt is snapping in half, or that it goes up in to the grip of the stock, and is cracking the stock at the grip?

4. skeet_man

5. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I'll stick with my 680 original if you put the newer receivers next to theolder ones you can see they got cheaper as the changed. If I wanted a new Beretta I would have to get a DT 11 that is a real solid gun with tapered choked barrels lots of international shooters using them today. The 682 was the last good 600 series guns.

Buddy

ganger and dale58 thanked this.
  6. John Henry

thanks for replies. My buddy asked me to ask this, as he is considering his first O/U, which will likely be a Joel Etchen 680 series purchase with upgrade wood. A 20 gauge for upland hunting.

I love the 682 Gold E, but beyond that, have little experience with Beretta O/Us.

7. DandyRandy

DandyRandy Well-Known Member

I really like my 682. I feels good, looks good, and shoots good. What else do you need from a trap gun?

ganger thanked this.
  8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Banned User Banned

skeet_man,

I noticed your discussions about that single screw. I am rebuilding a 682 presently, and notice that the rounded groove the trigger assembly fits into the top tang, does not fit tight against the back when the screw is inserted. There is a space at the back toward the stock bolt, and to the front. It looks like it is centered in that groove. Also, when I removed the safety/selector that screw was not tight. I wonder if this is what causes stress on that single screw of the 692. If the wood fit is not perfect all around I can see where stress would come to that screw from the side. Even if it did at first, eventually there would be movement. Then as you say there would be stress on the screw opening and closing the gun, and on recoil. That screw is the only thing holding the whole front of the gun together from that point forward. The stock bolt is pulling the trigger assembly into the stock, and putting side stress on that screw even more.

Also, a BT-99 has the same idea of design, though the trigger assembly fits into a sharp cut angled groove to lock into the top tang, then rotated into the receiver, and pinned in tight. That seems to work without issue, and certainly is of proven design.

[​IMG]

9. Gamba Man

Gamba Man Active Member

IMG_1887.GIF

I'm assuming #36 is the screw in question ?

10. skeet_man

11. Gamba Man

Gamba Man Active Member

Thank you skeet man

I think most first production guns run through initial glitches ... the 692 seems to be a fine gun otherwise

12. GirlCaptain

GirlCaptain TS Member

The 680/682's were and still are workhorse guns. My gunsmith says they rarely if ever have anything go wrong, and are, in general, fantastic guns. The boyfriend recently purchased a 690 Black Sport which he loves, but I'll shoot my 682X forever! Now, if I could only find one as a backup gun....
    GC

Trapshooter, Stl Flyn and ganger thanked this.
  13. RichTozer

RichTozer Member

692s are fantastic guns. Mechanically comparable to the 680s in my opinion but better balanced. Selector and tang screw issues are blown way out of proportion. Screw issue has very low # occurrancies and the selector issue can be easily avoided with very simple and cheap maintenance. Seen a couple of 692s fs in the $2900-3100 range and in my opinion thats a steal.

14. crewchief

crewchief Active Member

At 69 weight is a factor for me. I love my 686 12ga SP1 Sporting. When I'm shooting 300 targets in a day I'm about spent at rd 280!!!!!

Crew Chief

15. 3dram

3dram TS Member

I loved the look of my 680 with the silver receiver. Wonderful handling. Kicked like a mule. I loved the updated rib on my 682, handled well, kicked like mule. Recently tried a DT11-another mule. I really wish I could have found one that didn't kick (I dislike recoil devices). I've had numerous P guns, a K gun and a Ljutic. None of them kicks/kicked. I find it frustrating as Berettas are fabulous guns for the money. My loss.

16. corbindallasmultipass

corbindallasmultipass Member

i loved my 682 gold e too, it was a great gun.

17. TampaSS

TampaSS Member

+1 on the 682 Gold E over the 690 series.

mpolans thanked this.
  18. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Banned User Banned

IMO, it was hard for Beretta to improve the design from the 682. The reliability, ease of which to rebuild and maintain, and interchangeability with barrels was their mainstay. The lack of adjustable ribs, and other upgrades of chokes and barrels was the reasoning for the Gold-E. The 692 is yet to be proven, but in that price range just like everything else, the added changes is what people look for in the "New" model. Sometimes those changes have to be offset by other things as far as price to stay competitive. Only time will tell.

The wood and finish is still less desirable, IMO.

19. DW11-87

DW11-87 Active Member

That's why when I bought mine last summer, I bought one of Joel Etchen's 687 combos. From what I understand, it's basically a hi-grade 682, and those are pretty much bulletproof.

Derek

ganger thanked this.
  20. RandyM

RandyM Member

I have an older 682 heavy/large frame, its built like a tank, and I don't think there is anything that can't be repaired or replace on it.

ganger thanked this.