1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

65,000 can't read

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Dove Commander, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

On TV a few nights ago, A 57 year old Buffalo man was learning how to read after being laid off. It was stated that 65,000 people in Buffalo can't read beyond a 5th grade level. Indianapolis had a 19% graduation rate last year. Detroit's was 22%. Locally in our "rural" high school, we had a 98%. Whats broke? The education system or the family system?

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Based on the evidence, I would say both are broken and not getting any better ... The person who can't read is also just as responsible, because they know that they cannot read and they don't do anything about it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

It was also estimated 1 in 7 in the US can't read.

4. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

my 2 cents. the graduationn level in the u.s. ranks 23 in the world, one step above mexico. yet the u.s. spends more on education than any other country in the world. look at the national spelling B most top three not all english is not there first lan. whats that telling you. look at most top surgons at the hospitals, there not from the u.s. the school drop out rate in the u.s. is at an all time high. yet are goverment has schools with out fail lol its so bad that even the military had to lower there standards, you dont need a high school deploma. when schools have to hire guards to stop violence in the halls and grounds whats happening ? but than if we listen to our elected officals who want to pass another law or start another program its a joke. in wisconsin the drop out rate is shamefull, yet are govenor took road tax money and invested it in schools, and construction workers set idle just venting

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Degree's, school it is all about money today. Look at the sports programs. The parents are partly to blame in that there are no values added to these kids lives today but we as adults sponsor the sports programs and we are driving them farther and farther away from being constructive & healthy programs. I recently retired but in my last 15 or so years I could not begin to count the number of job applicants whom I interviewed that were illiterate. Todays parents throw money, cars, Ipod's etc at the kids to keep them off their ass and then wonder why they do drugs and rob people. I feel so fortunate to have raised three great boys who are successful today and living good clean lives but I feel sad when I see whats happening to young people today. Pretty much sums up our failing economy ( nobody wants to work. thank the unions for a lot of that)

6. DanBee

DanBee TS Member

Even more disturbing is the fact that 9 of 10 TS.COM posters lack basic spelling and grammar skills.

7. chuckles

chuckles Member

Why do you think we now rate number 26th in World Academic ratings re Math and Science....

It is the family as much as the Teachers but in most cases both are dismal and there is no visible hope for change in sight...

We've done it to ourselves with the assistance of the Liberal far left...

A big part of it started 30-40 years ago with "Equal Opportunity" & Preferential treatment (under several different names) carry over to Schooling, Police, Fire, etc...basically amounting to the "lowering of traditional standards" to accomodate the new thinking...

Americas best years are behind us...its just a big "free for all" now...

The strong shall survive....

regards

8. otnot

otnot Active Member

I think the biggest problem is that the parents have allowed other people to raise their kids. We should have been at home taking care to pass on OUR values and family values instead of chasing the almighty buck. It was our greed and self serving career chasing that caused this. It seems that money has become more valuable than the family unit.

9. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

Here is something really sad that goes with this. Most of the non readers are of voting age.
    Be Well
    Wayne

10. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

What's broke is that the teachers need more money and we need new schools and more superintendents. If we would spend more, we would get better results.

Abe Lincoln writing on the back of a shovel....INDEED!

11. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I should have added this to the above post. To VOTE If you can read press 1, if not Press 2 we will handle it for you. Most of the non readers are good with numbers.

12. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Excellant point Force Break. They may not be able to read, but they can watch TV and get all information they need to vote. Our last election proved that.

13. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Yes you can give the teachers more money, if they can teach not take up space. The teachers can't control the kids like they use too. I respected my teachers and I damn well better have or I would have had my arse beat like I deserved when my parents found out. There should be higher standards for the kids and the teachers. If you can't teach you are gone. Does that happen today, I don't think so. We have to weed them out. Also let the teachers and educators set standards and keep them. At least teach them the basics reading writing and math. Used to be the 3 R's.
    I didn't apply myself in school but at least I had the chance. Help was there if I asked but some just don't take the initiative to learn. My spelling isn't perfect but that is my fault I use a dictionary a lot , but not all the time. I just had to use it. Need one for Dummies Ken

14. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

Hoot619 hit on part of the problem. Lack of respect and discipline in today's schools, especially inner city schools. In today's local paper there was article about todays school kids blackmailing the teachers with law suits. When did we give our kids "all inclusive rights"??? I remember, it was in George Will's editorial. When there are not real penalties for bad behavior, how does a teacher control the students and teach? And I don't want to hear about the "touchy, feely" be nice to them and they'll be nice to you BS. I guess I'm getting too old and out of touch with todays new standards. Oh well, I guess I'll just go to read a book.

Tony

15. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Being in high school, I would definitely say that a main issue is that the kids are no longer driven. Though you will rarely find an Indian, Japanese, or Chinese kid who slacks off, and is not very driven to do all they can do. This is not because these kids are smarter, it is simply their culture. America has suffered a decrease in cultural values as far as education is concerned. It is put on the back burner as most parents would rather have their son be the star quarterback, or their daughter be the cheerleader that dates the star quarterback than be the valedictorian, or just maintain a relatively high GPA. High school life has the priorities put towards things other than academic achievements.
    -Trappy

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Break the 65 thousand down by race for me please.

HM

17. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

No one's fault but their own in most cases.

I just had a frustrating experience where I volunteered to teach basic carpentry/construction math skills to some less than qualified folks through a minority church. Free. No charge for books, paper, anything. Also, when complete, they would be set up with interviews (also coaching in that aspect). First class was supposed to start last Monday. Out of 25 candidates we had eight express interest, five promised to come and zero showed up.

gI think if we try again, we'll charge for it. Have them Get some skin in the game.

Oh well, I can go get a paying job to make up some of the economic losses in the savings thing.

18. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Good one Teetz, Someone has to be the "1" of 7.

19. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

I was a school district administrator for 25 years, and I can tell you, although it isn't politically correct, that the fault lies with parents who don't read to their children when the children are young, don't take an interest in their child's work in school, don't check their child's homework, and blame the teacher for "not liking their child" when there's a discipline problem instead of making it clear to the child that the teacher is always right - even when they're wrong. Educating a child is a team effort - the parent, first and foremost, the teacher, and the school - if any member of the team doen't do their job, it doesn't work.

20. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe .

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."

In light of the present financial crisis, it's interesting to read what Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

Thomas Jefferson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.