1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

62nd Annual "Big Yak" - Sept 17-18 Updated PICS 2

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Anthony.L, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

I couldn't find any thread on here mentioning this event. It's a 2-day PITA (w/ ATA cross reg) event here in the Pacific NW. Pomona Gun Club is outside Yakima, WA in the town of Selah. It's the home of the Annual Blanket Shoot and Joe King Memorial Shoot. Also known at the "Big Yak".

I'm in Yakima for the weekend and plan on shooting the 16yd singles event both Saturday and Sunday. Only my second registered PITA/ATA event. I will have with me my camera and plan on taking some photos which I will post here.

2. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

see ya there ,,,MX8Dave

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

http://sportsyakima.com/2011/08/083011-whats-happening/

Big Yak trap shoot scheduled for Sept. 17-18
    The 62nd annual “Blanket Shoot” known to trap shooters around the Pacific Northwest as the Big Yak will take place Sept. 17-18 at the Pomona range in Selah.

This will also mark the eighth year the shoot has carried the name of the Joe King Memorial Trap Shoot, in honor of a renowned local shooter who died in 2003 and whose family still donates the prized blankets that go to winners. Some $5,000 in cash and prizes will go out to the top shooters.

The shooting weekend will also include a silent auction to raise money for breast cancer research, a potluck with barbecue salmon and chicken, and a Texas hold-em tournament.

4. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

Good turn out, forgot to ask how many registered shooters. I will find out tomorrow. The weather was not all that great. However I heard many people say it's better than the summer heat that is typical in this area. It was overcast, and in the 60's. I was out taking photos after shooting my 100 16yard birds. The overcast weather doesn't make for dramatic photos, but I will post them soon.

Tomorrow is the blanket event shooting all pick targets for Breast Cancer awareness.

Thanks to mx8dave for stopping me and saying hi!

5. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

Select handful of pictures I took today at the event.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

Anthony,cool pictures,,hope to see you again tomorrow, I was on my way to shoot when I saw you ,MX8Dave,,,D.Lang

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Good pics - wish I was there.

Whatever happened to the Yakima Valley Sportman's Assn. and who is pictured in the artwork on the outside wall?

8. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

I'm new to the club, but my understanding is Pomona Gun Club and Yakima Valley Sportsman's Association are the same thing.

The painting on the wall is Joe King whom the memorial shoot is in honor of. He died in 2003 from cancer and ever since they have called the "Big Yak" the "Joe King Memorial Shoot" as well.

Yeah I will be back tomorrow, shooting the 100 16yd singles event again on day 2. I want me a blanket! =)

9. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

Today the weather was much better. Started off early AM with cloud cover but about half way through the first squad the clouds parted and the sun came out. The day warmed up from there and the targets really popped in the sky. Today for there 100 16yd singles event we shot all pink targets in honor of Breast Cancer awareness which was part of this event.

Congrats to all the winners!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]