1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

62% of Private Gun Sales to Prohibited Buyers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrskeet410, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

New York Probe Finds 62 Percent of Private Gun Sellers Sell to Prohibited Individuals

By OLIVIA KATRANDJIAN

It begins -

"More than six in 10 private gun sellers agreed to sell a firearm to a buyer who said he probably couldn't pass a background check, according to a report released today by New York City officials as part of an undercover investigation.

"Our investigation indicates illegal online sales are a problem that's national in scope," said Mayor Michael Bloomberg at a press conference today.

Federal law prohibits felons, domestic abusers, drug addicts and the mentally ill from buying firearms, and federally-licensed firearms dealers are required to conduct background checks and keep paperwork on their buyers. But unlicensed private sellers -- who account for about 40 percent of U.S. gun sales -- do not have to conduct background checks on their buyers. They are prohibited, however, from selling firearms to someone they know to be a prohibited purchaser..."

Read the complete article at link.

http://news.yahoo.com/york-probe-finds-62-percent-private-gun-sellers-170833667.html

2. bob easton

bob easton TS Member

Has anyone seen any evidence that the gun used to kill a NY policeman this week was really "illegal." Within mere hours of the shooting, news reports in this area (I'm 35 mi from NYC) were calling it an "illegal" gun, but not saying how they know this.

Is it really the case that the gun was traced and the illegal trail of provenance proven so quickly, or was this just an opportunity for hizonor to roll out his latest campaign?

-- Bob

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

When it comes to firearms issues, who in their right mind would believe anything that Bloomberg was involved in could be anywhere near factual. Bill Malcolm

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"More than six in 10 private gun sellers agreed to sell a firearm to a buyer who said he probably couldn't pass a background check, according to a report released today by New York City officials as part of an undercover investigation."

So just who are these NYC officials? Why do they release reports isn't the ATF the Federal agency that over sees firearm sale legal and illegal??

It sounds an awful lot like Bloomberg is up to the same tactics he has used in the past. None of which are usually exact to the letter of the law.

Bob Lawless

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Mrs keet,

Quit trying to cloud the issue of your story. You are still a lying libturd. Now how about getting back on the subject of that all white club you mentioned. Just admit you lied or name the club.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    How can you believe anything this guy posts? He claimed John Birch created the John birch Society (in fact it was named after him years after he was murdered), and he claims there is a trap club that only allows whites, but can't name the club.

No credibility.

He is a libtard troll pretending to be a gun owner so he can stir crap up.

And he can't even figure out the proper category to post this in, either. Probably thought it would be more "in your face" in this section, in keeping with his trolliness.

7. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I hate to say this, but this information was just on World News with Diane Sawyer.

8. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

The article is so rife with inacurracies, half truths and missing information that it impossible to really understand, but the purpose is to upset suburban Moms, at which it will succeed.

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa....Diane Sawyer?

Anything she says is 98% BS!

10. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Just because the article was on the news, does not make it a fact. Bloomburg is well known to play fast and loose with the truth. He should be in jail for the illegal gun stings he tried to do in VA and down south. Just another RINO turd.

If you notice, most of the libitards who spout these percentages, can never produce the research or where these statistics come from.

Oscar

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

CalKid. Haven't you figured out yet that Diane Sawyer and the people she works for are elements of one of the greatest advocates of the progressive movement, AKA the democrat party, in the country? Time to dig a bit deeper into the truth.

Have you heard of "Fast and Furious"? Sawyer is part of the media that support the current administration and are giving a pass to the US Attorney General, Eric Holder for his and his administration of the illegal movement of military style guns to the drug cartel in Mexico.

12. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Barry whoa, whoa, whoa slow it down Turbo. I just merely reference that something to the effect of what the OP said was on the news. How it was twisted, who the anchor or anchor woman was has nothing to do what I was referring to or what I believe. I am a not a liberal, it was on the TV and I just happen to note it.

You sure as hell won't find me constantly listening to news talk radio or grossly developed in politics. It is what it is and I will try to do my part to support the cause I believe in.

Bryan

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Yeah Bryan you libturd.......................Touché (for the grumpy thing)

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

OMG..... Diane Sawyer and her broadcast company can't be trusted??

15. JD45

JD45 Member

Total bullshit.

16. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Two words that make it all BS,

Bloomberg and Kelly!!

No credibility between the two of them, combined at that!!

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Anyone remember how the media jumped all over the "a gun in the home is 41% more likely to kill a family member" flawed "study" that was so unbelievable that it later got changed to 29%, then eventually disappeared altogether, because it was put BS?

18. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"But unlicensed private sellers -- who account for about 40 percent of U.S. gun sales -- do not have to conduct background checks on their buyers."

Anyone want to tell me where this information is available? Are all of these private sellers calling in and supplying the information? Yeah, sure.

Whenever someone starts talking in percentages, I always feel the need to ask for the raw numbers. 5 / 8 = 62.5%

19. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

From the NY Daily News

Bloomberg slams Craigslist over shady gun sales -

"The notorious “gun show loophole” that gives criminals and maniacs easy access to firearms has gone online.

Undercover investigators for the city found thousands of guns - including one just like the 9mm Ruger that killed Officer Peter Figoski on Monday - being sold online by private peddlers who don’t have to perform background checks on buyers.

Not only did investigators find it a breeze to buy pistols and assault rifles with no questions asked, but 77 of 125 sellers in 14 states agreed to complete the sale even after the buyer said he couldn’t pass a background check.

At a City Hall press conference, Mayor Bloomberg played tape after tape of drawling Southern gun dealers laughing - a few nervously, most with amusement - when the undercover buyer said he couldn’t have passed a background check.

“I probably couldn’t either!” said a cackling seller in Arizona who was hawking the 9mm Ruger handgun for $500.

Background checks are designed to keep felons and the mentally ill from buying guns..."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mayor-bloomberg-slams-craigslist-shady-gun-sales-article-1.991704#ixzz1gclM8bRv

20. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Interesting as Craigslist does not allow guns

http://www.craigslist.org/about/prohibited.items

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.