1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

600 jr. .410???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmOU, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I have a 600 jr. that I converted to .410 everything on it works fine except for the final crimping station. The problem is kind of hard to explain. It will not crimp the shell, it kind of crushes the top of the shell and turns it inside out a little, almost like the crimp on a slug. Does anyone know what might be wrong?

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'd call or e-mail MEC. They've always been helpful when I've had problems.

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

You crimping an empty shell to check things out?

If you have a correct recipe the shot should be about the level of where the crimp should be, so the crimp would not have room to role in.

Jason

4. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

The shot is to the level of where the crimp should be, the crimp is rolled in just on the top of the shell, it does not go into the main part of the shell where the components are.

5. shaner

shaner Member

i bet your using winchester old style hulls? been loadin the for years an my loader does it too, they told me i had the starter crimp down to far , ive tried a lot of things no help just seems to do it on mine with winchester hulls??

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have to ask the obvious, are you using the correct crimp die for your shell length? My 600 was shipped with 2 crimp dies, one is for the 3" hull and one is for the 2 1/2" hulls, and you need to use the correct die for your given hull length. Also make sure it really is a .410 die and not a 28. Assuming the die selection is correct, try adjusting the starter out and the crimper down.

7. jr7100

jr7100 TS Member

Can't know your exact problem. It has been my experiance with the .410 that you need a good fold with the crimp starter to get a good final crimp. Make sure that the opening is small after it comes out of the crimp starter, then all of your other adjustments will be with the final die. Good Luck. Jim

8. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Thanks for all the help.

I am using winchester new style hulls. I am pretty sure that I have the right die, but I will check on that. I will also try adjusting the starter crimp.

9. johnpe

johnpe Member

My crimp die has two threaded holes at the top where the roller is attached. I assume yours does too. Be sure to use the bottom hole for 3" shells and the top hole for 2 1/2 inch shells. If you are loading 3" shells, I assume you have also moved the center support post up 1/4" by relocating the big screw in the back of the tool - just as you would if you were loading 3" 20 gauge or 3" 12 gauge shells. The 1/4" on the crimp die and the 1/4" on the post equals the 1/2" you need for 3" shells. Mine works fine with either shell using these changes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.