1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

#6 shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I just received a new bag of chilled #6 shot can't load it for trap. I have plenty of hunting loads seems a waste for anything but hunting. Any one willing to trade for some 7 1/2's or 8's or 9's?

2. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Load it & shoot it for league and practice. I did that with some left over #5.

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

mix it with 8 or 9 works good rick

4. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

It's great for long yardage handicap. It's not quite legal for ATA, but remember that the rulebook is only a guide.

5. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Use it for custer shoots for the long shots!

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Little Dog- Would your phrase "not quite legal" mean clearly illegal?

Pat Ireland

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

When you turn the bag upside down to pour the shot into the loading machine the 6 becomes a 9 and is "quite legal". HMB

8. atashooter

atashooter Member

HMB...LOL. "Don't know what happened, it was 9 when I poured it in"

9. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

#6 can carry farther than #7 1/2. I used to shoot frequently at the old (now defunct) Knoxville (TN) trap club. The club had been built too close to a golf course. You could usually tell if someone was using shells that were too strong or with shot too big. There would be a yell from the golf course.

10. larryjk

larryjk Member

Snapthecat makes a very good point. No.6 shot carries further than 71/2, 8, or 9. Most trap ranges are not designed for No. 6 shot. Range management will not let you use the larger shot if they know you are planning to use it. Who gets sued if someone outside the range gets hit? The first result is another CLOSED trap range. Thanks!

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Just depends what part of the country you are from. We use 6's and 5's shooting games at many clubs in the west. Totally legal and within the rules of game shooting at many clubs. I know guys that use 4's. Trust me, When you are shooting a falling Northwest Brand target at 80 plus yards you will be glad you were using 6's. Jeff

12. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

When I used to shoot at small ranges in Ill./Ind. most were on the edge of open fields and shot "carrying" didn't matter. Same for the hills of KY. and the boundries were not an issue. Several people used copper plated 6s in Annie and Protection loads. Clubs located on the edge of other properties DO however, cause a problem and using anything larger that 7-1/2s is probably NOT a good idea!

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Aren't #6's simply 7 1/2's that didn't fall through the screen? That outta make 'em perfectly legal for ATA Handicap events. Like Pat says he often finds his shot bags mis-marked with the wrong sizes. Some people say they work great!!

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

It's not a matter of legal or illegal it's a matter of whats safe to shoot. I don't know of any ranges that would allow 6 shot for targets. The guy I got the shot from was loading for hunting. I won't shoot something that will carry that far it's just dangerous. So if interested in trading let me know and I'll be happy to swap even up for smaller shot.

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I am a member at two clubs. One allows up to 5 shot, the other only up to 7-1/2.

Just make sure you know the club rules and don't violate them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

use number 6 shot for trap shooting