Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

#6 Shot versues #71/2

6K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  az outlaw 
#1 ·
Other than Range rules, Why don't more people use #6 shot from the 25-27 yard line? Seems like a silly question but I would like to know some of the Ideas that shooters have regarding this matter.

Thanls in advance,

Mark Williams

#5 ·
Rick:

I'm not so sure on some of your numbers... the NRA range manual lists #7.5 lead with maximum range of 209 yards, based upon the Journee Table for lead balls.

As far as a shotfall zone, I have never heard of or have had recommended using an additional 300 yards to backup a primary shotfall zone.

Respectfully offered,

Jay Spitz

#8 ·
In regard to shotfall zones, if you were opening a range today (my old club that was shut down is in the process of doing same and going through the permit process) any agencies that issues permits wants to see a 300 yard drop zone. The government agencies (local and state) could care less what size shot your using, as long as you have a designated 300 yard drop zone.

Your club (or private property owner) better own the land where the lead is landing (shot fall zone or no shot fall zone), as it does not matter how far the lead is traveling, because if it lands off your property your out of business or at a minimum being sued.

I know one club that had to close a skeet field, as shot was landing on a trailer that was put up just off the clubs property. Been landing there for years, but once someone starting using the property...

More than a few clubs in past years have closed fields because of shotfall issues.

#9 ·
If you miss a target from the 27 yard line it isn't because your 7 1/2's were not big enough.

This is why people do not shoot them. As well as the fact that it is against the rules of many clubs and the ATA.

Now if you are shooting games from the 27 yard line and may be shooting at a target as it is settling to the dirt.... That is another story. We can shoot whatever size we want shooting games at many clubs in the West and many guys use 6's for the extra long range shooting and some guys just use 6's for everything and make it simple so they are not swapping shells in and out of the gun all the time.

Some of thos guys are deadly as are some of the guys who shoot 5's.

When it comes to standard trap targets from the 27 yard line 6's are pointless as 7 1/2's are overkill in many situations. Dan Orlich shot the first perfect 400x400 and he shot from the 27 yard line and never shot anything but 8's from his gun. Good enough to shoot 100 straight from the back fence with 3 hole targets and hand pulling.

Daro Handy shot a 98 one day with his single loads from 27 yards. 1 ounce of 8 1/2's. I guess if you are a good shot you can get away with a lot on a given day. Jeff

#11 ·
Why not just trade it for some small shot? If it;s good hard shot you should have no trouble as lots of guys use it for games. lawrence magnum or Westcoast shot will always find a buyer or a trade. The unknown stuff is better off shot or sold. what brand shot do you have? Jeff

#14 ·
The additional safety distance is for the idiots who shoot 6's,4's, or larger.
It is strictly against almost every clubs rules to shoot larger than 7 1/2 shot, but there is always the chance of some jerk thinking "We don't need no stinkin' rules!"
We shooters all know there are some of "Them good ol' boys" out there.

Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

#17 ·
WPT, You are correct about the penalty's, and I agree with them. I was just wondering about the thoughts behind it all. I am a fairly new shooter and information is always valuable. Plus the fact that I have 125#'s of the stuff that is just sitting around. Anyone in the Phoenix area want to purchase or trade for some smaller stuff?????

Thanks everyone for the input,

Mark Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.