1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

6 inches high at 13 yards/impact?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Pattern my gun at 13 yards off rest. Center of impact is about 6 inches high. What is the point od impact percentage . Thanks

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I depends on the kind of gun, but if the rib is pretty standard, figure it shoots very high, let's say 18 or so inches. I'd find that impossible to shoot.

It's good you tested it. But now it's decision time, isn't it Earl? The decision I'd make with a gun like that would be to lower the POI a lot if possible; sell it if not.

Don't worry about "percentage" and all that jazz; it's just talk by people who don't know where their guns shoot anyway. If they did they would just say eighteen inches high - or six inches high at 13 yards off a rest - like you now do.

Neil

3. smsnyder

This was a Ceasar Guerini. The second time a shot it center of pattern was 8 inches high at 13 yards. I measured the distance with a laser range finder. Heck i thought gun was shooting like 80/20 according to notches. Not sure now.

4. smsnyder

I used one eye open first time and two eyes open second time. I am a two eye shooter. Pattern was allways dead center both times above amming point.

5. smsnyder

Looks like i need to move the front of the rib up and the comb down. Correct? This should lower my point of impact.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Where did your previous gun shoot? If you shot it good, try to match your old gun's POI. Only you will know what POI you shoot best.

Don't worry about a percentage. BTW, my trap guns all shoot 6-7" high at 14 yards.

7. smsnyder

What is the norm for most poi? How much poi is norm to allow for target rising?
    Im sure once a person see target and reacts to target it has to be moving inches above sighting plane once trigger is pulled and shot arrives.Neil would be able to answer this.

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

SmSnyder: What was the Bbl length, top single or un single

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Earl- You now know your gun shoots very high. Step two takes more time. Figure out where you shoot the gun. Some shooters want a gun that shoots very high like yours, most want their guns to shoot a little lower. If you are smoking most of the targets you shoot at with the high gun, you need a gun that shoots high. If you are not smoking the targets, then lower the POI.

I believe the single most important thing you learn from testing the POI at 13 yards is if the gun is shooting straight or to the left or right. The second thing, not as important (my opinion) is if the fun is shooting flat, a little high, or very high.

I like to measure things accurately and often extrapolate my measurements well beyond any significance. That is just my nature. But I realize extension of less than perfect measurements of a random shaped pattern to 40 yards may not really mean very much.

Pat Ireland

10. smsnyder

Dr Longshot, 34 inch unsingle

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Are you breaking targets? Are your hits low, high, or in the middle? Which way are your chips flying? Height or POI is subjective for each shooter. If your always busting the tops off the targets lower the POI, but, only a little at a time. My Ljutic is set up to give me 4" at 13 yards. So, when I pattern my gun I shoot 12" low, at 40 yards. That puts me in the middle of the patten board. That's just the way the gun shoots.

12. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

13. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

I was at the pattern board today. My beretta shot 6 inches high at 13 yards I backed up to 30 yards and it was 15 inches high, which is in percentage something like 120% high with my full choke. If you can shoot the gun where it is set there's no need to make it lower now is there? A higher gun like ours is better in my mind because when you are shooting you can watch the target throughout the entire shot because its above the barrel as you can see it.

14. 257 ackley

257 ackley Member

6" high @ 13 yards = 110% high.....the pattern will be roughly 3" above your aim point @ 40 yards...

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

257 ackley- Did you mean 3 inches or 3 feet. I would have to question both.

Pat Ireland

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I'd peg more like 18" high at 40yds...

JC

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I think somewhere We need to declare Center of Pattern, or Bottom of Pattern...

Generally, it's Center of Pattern as it never deviates from Center... lol

18. chipdaddy

chipdaddy Member

If the barrel and receiver remain the constant, then it only make sense that if you raise the comb the pattern will be higher and lowering the comb will lower the pattern. The rib only gives you something to look down! Is this just too simple or what?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.