1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

#6 in BPS Trap ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ky4some, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ky4some

ky4some Member

I normally shoot #8's when shooting trap with my Browning BPS Trap with a fixed full choke barrel. I have several boxes of 2.75" shells with #6 shot. Is there any reason I can't shoot these for a strictly recreational round of sporting clays with my son? I know the #6's are probably not legal for competion in sporting clays but this would just be a fun round of sporting. I want to make sure I don't harm my shotgun or barrel in any way.

Mike Kamer

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I'm assuming lead shot? Won't hurt the gun at all. Might have more recoil if it's a 3-1/4 dram hunting load.

#6 shot also travels 40 yards farther than #7-1/2, so fallout on adjoining property can be an issue.

Wayne

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

You should have no problem shooting any size lead shot from a BPS trap. Many years ago, when they first came out, I used to shoot one for games using 40 grains of Alliant Blue Dot powder and 1 1/2 oz of size 5 shot in a Federal Paper hull.

The fixed full choke in the gun would break targets in the next county. Recoil was stout but manageable. The chamber was also very tight and I had to resize the Federal Paper hulls to the max as they had a tendency to swell with all of the powder and shot I crammed into the hull.

Ed Ward

4. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

our club states no larger than 7.5 shot

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

You need to ask range management. Many clubs have limited shot drop fall zones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.