1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

5th Wheel Toyhaulers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by THALL, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THALL

THALL Member

I am considering buying a 5th wheel toyhauler to use to travel to Trap Shoots and other outdoor events. Would appreciate any constructive thoughts before buying. 3/4 ton Chevy crew cab with Duramax will be used to pull toyhauler. Either a golf cart with back seat or Kawasaki Mule will be used to get around the shoot. Within the last year I have traveled to the Tennesee shoot, Southern Zone in Spartanburg, the Grand, Georgia shoot & the Dixie Grand using a bumper pull travel trailer from cental Alabama.

Thanks in advance.

Tim Hall

2. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

My 2 cents as usual: Look for a 5th wheel that has an aluminium frame vs. wood. Wooden frames can make a high quality trailer, but not usually. Wooden framed trailers are usually heavier. I'd recommend that you first see what Holiday Rambler has to offer...

Look for a trailer that has real plywood framing the cabinets.

I too have a 'dmax, love it, works well.

Good Luck

3. oz

oz Active Member

if you just want to carry your cart, get a set of ramps and put it in the back of the pickup. oz

4. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i don,t know if a single rear wheel pickup is heavy enough to pull a 5th wheel toy hauler around i would check the weight rating before i purchased a very big toy hauler.i would think you would want at least a 1 ton pickup. dwain

5. starship

starship TS Member

A 3/4T will pull a few toy haulers (obviously depends on size of trailer).
    That said, DO NOT listen to the sales folks when they say "you can pull this with that, no problem." There's always a problem.

Find out total weight of the trailer (empty), find out the GROSS weight the truck can handle (truck and trailer go into this number). Find out the hitch weight of the trailer. When you really find a trailer you like have it weighed. Have dealer take it to truck scales and get weight. The weights listed are for a bare bones trailer, if there are any add-ons (awnings, air conditioners, etc) it will add to the weight listed. Also keep in mind when you travel you will have all the toys, food, water, etc as added weight.

Yes, as the sales people will say, I know such-and-such that has the same set-up and pulls it just fine. Remember it's not just the pulling but you also have to stop the dang thing at some point. If you buy more trailer than the truck is rated for you might be able to pull it (with that motor) but it will tear up the transmission in no time.

If you happen to get in any type of accident and the insurance companies find out you were overloaded then the fight will be on. BTW, it won't be a fight to see who gets to pay you:)

We've been RVing for years, good luck with your search.

6. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Y'all wouldn't happen to know of any trailer models (sleeping kind, not necessarily toy haulers) that could be safely hauled (and stopped, of course) by a mid-size SUV (Explorer)?

7. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

browning gal.......if you have access to showers get yourself a nice folddown.will pull nicely brhind your explorer. many have air, stoves, small frig.. dwain

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I tow a boat no RV's, but same more or less. I agree with Starship. Only thing I might add is don't take the dealers word. Take the rig your self to a scale. Your local town dump has one you can use for a small fee. After you do both, unhook and do only your truck (just so you know). Work the numbers out, add weight for your food, shells and guns and every person in truck everything you can think of even full gas (all tanks) and ATV's. Now stay below the manufactures max. total by about 20 percent. The dealers max. is for short distance pulling only, not long drives. Trany rebuilds are pricy don't ask me how I know. Break-em all. Jeff

9. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

I hear ya all, I got a Duramax 3/4 ton to tow a 3000 lb. (wet weight) trailer. "Too much is just about right"...

10. Steven R. Scheib

Steven R. Scheib TS Member

A 3/4 ton truck is not equipped to pull any 5th wheel hauler, because of the total weight. Even though the GVWR weight might be in the allowance, you still overload the rear end carrier bearings and run the risk of overheating, which will eventually ruin it. I used a ton dually for a number of years pulling a 15,000 5th wheel with not too many problems. I now use a ton single rear wheel truck and have burned up my rear end twice. Overheating - the stop and start does it. I have priced a bumper hitch toy hauler to lower the trailer weight to 10,000 or under. Do your homework and save yourself alot of grief and money.

11. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Since you have gone to all those shoots with your pull behind you know most of everything you should know about pulling the fifth wheelers. What Dwain said about the size of truck might come into play and it's worth looking into. I have a non-toy hauler fifth wheel that is 36 feet long. I use a dually one ton dodge to pull mine and have had it on the road with a fifty mile per hour cross wind and never even had to slow down. Also if you don't know the prices of those toy haulers you might have to get prepared for sticker shock. If you haven't looked at them I'll tell you to check out a bunch before you buy. I personally went to where they make the fifth wheelers and bought mine from a dealer in Elkart, Ind. The trip saved me ten thousand.This is the perfect time of year to buy one they are willing to deal. In my honest opinion when you look at them go for a unit that has a queen bed instead of a king. The king takes up too much space in the bedroom. Good luck looking and look at a bunch of them before you buy. Dan

12. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Since you have gone to all those shoots with your pull behind you know most of everything you should know about pulling the fifth wheelers. What Dwain said about the size of truck might come into play and it's worth looking into. I have a non-toy hauler fifth wheel that is 36 feet long. I use a dually one ton dodge to pull mine and have had it on the road with a fifty mile per hour cross wind and never even had to slow down. Also if you don't know the prices of those toy haulers you might have to get prepared for sticker shock. If you haven't looked at them I'll tell you to check out a bunch before you buy. I personally went to where they make the fifth wheelers and bought mine from a dealer in Elkart, Ind. The trip saved me ten thousand.This is the perfect time of year to buy one they are willing to deal. In my honest opinion when you look at them go for a unit that has a queen bed instead of a king. The king takes up too much space in the bedroom. Good luck looking and look at a bunch of them before you buy. Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.