1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

55 Gal. Of Lead?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim e, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim e

Jim e TS Member

What Is The weight Of A 55 Gal.Of Reclaimed Shot?

2. high 2

high 2 Member

I think I read where lead miner said it was 3000lbs

3. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Depends on how much dirt. 2600 pounds is a good guess.

jim brown

4. FLIP

FLIP Member

its more then that

5. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

94.8 lbs / gal is the density of pure lead. Not sure how much empty space is there but a 55 gal drum would be around 5500 lbs. If it were pure lead with no spaces in between.

6. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

We are getting ready to mine our fields. 55 gallons of nonoxidized lead is about 3000#. Depending on the oxidization % this could drop the weight to 22-2400# per barrel.

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

What Jim Brown said is accurate. They sell 2 liter bottle's of reclaimed shot which comes to 25 lb. There is 105 2 liter bottles in a 55 gallon container, so 105x25=2,625 lb.

8. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

it is amazing as to how much empty space gets created by the spherical shape.

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Jime:

My club did a reclaimation project last summer. I learned two things.

1. A terrific amount of dirt and 'fines' go into the barrels.

2. As lead was going into a drum, the contractor compacted it by pounding the bejeezus out of the sides with an 8 pound sledge.

The first barrels processed were the lightest. The lightest I remember was about 2350. As the contractor got his equipment dialed in, later barrels were significantly heavier. The average for a semi load of 55 gal. drums was just shy of 2600 lbs per.

sissy

10. skeezix

skeezix Member

When we mined a few years back the 55 gal drums were full to the rim. This material had been scraped into rows, and processed through a rotating screen separator. They took these drums and ran the lead through a cleaning process to remove dirt and rocks - they were several inches (maybe 4 or 5 IIRC) below the rim after this process.

John

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Taken from water, Or cleaned,lead shot will be 3300 lbs if the barrel is fill to the rim.

If you have the level manageable it will be around 3000.

HM

12. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I bought 2 drums a couple years ago. One was 2660# and the other was 2880#

13. skeezix

skeezix Member

Assuming 3% antimony, 55 gallons with no voids would be 5125 lbs. If you fill a volume with spheres - like shot, the absolute highest packing efficiency is 74.05% which would be 3,795 lbs (assuming the spheres are identical in size and stay spherical). Really loosly packed, unvibrated, etc. the packing density can drop as low as about 53%, or 2,683 lbs. Best guess for clean lead, would be from 2800 to 3200 lbs.

Of course a 55 gallon drum isn't necessarily 55 gallons either. I think if your buying you want to assume a number around 2,600 lbs. IF your selling you probably want to talk about 3,200 lbs. :)

John

14. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

I was looking for something to do this afternoon....

Using Kepler's conjecture that the maximum packing of spheres, face centered, is 74% of the available space, and other simple conversions, the calculation:

55.00 gallons x 3.7854 L/gal x 11.34 g/mL (d of Pb) x 0.7400 (from Kepler) / 0.001 L/mL / 453.59 g/lb;

yields 3852 pounds.

You're gonna need a forklift...

Joe

15. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

As I work for a reclaimer, our barrels weigh between 2800 and just over 3000 lbs. The difference is not oxidation but more into typical shot size; ie: a barrle of 8's and 9's will weigh a lot more than 7.5's and 8's. Nobody gets heavier or cleaner lead per barrel than we do.

Dick Gries

16. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Dick, where are you working? I'm looking to purchase some shot from Silver Dollar in Odessa. I wondered how clean it would be. I purchased some from Robinson Ranch(1500 lbs) and it was very clean but had a lot of flat sides. Jackie B.

17. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I bought a couple of these several years ago and left them at the club. One ended up cracking the concrete and it had to be moved.

We sold the lead just before it took a jump. Normal for us.

Whiz

18. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

Flat sides on shot being a concern to some. That always makes me laugh. Did you folks notices that Winchester just came out with a new hunting load where the pellets were intentionally made with many flat sides? Lots of benefits for an iron shot hunting load and not necessarily impending doom for a target load.

Just my thoughts.........

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
50 pounds of lead in gallons
fifty gal of lead weits
how many pounds of lead in a 55 gallon barrel
lead shot 50 gal drum
lead shot by the barrel
lead shot cubic feet yard lead shot 55 gal drum
purchase 55 gallon drum of lead shot