1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

525 fore end catch lever difficult to latch down

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by quartering, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartering

quartering Active Member

Mar 15, 2007
    i just bought s 525 with a tight locking fore grip - it takes both hands and all of your strength to press down hard enough to make it click into position. i'm afraid i'll crack the wood doing this! is there an adjustment i can make somewhere to fix this? thanks for the help, dan
  2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Nashville Tn
    DO NOT FILE THE LUG. These guns are hand fitted. Use a good grease on hinge pin, knuckle, and the lug. Install the forend, take the heel of your hand, and lightly strike the forend ahead of the latch several times. This seats the forend. Then, push the latch closed.

When actually installing the forend, hold the barrel in your other hand, forend up and the gun butt on your leg. I leaned the gun against my loading bench so I could hold the camera and take the shot.

Keep moving parts lubed, and your gun will wear in, NOT out.

BTW, the Cynergy in the picture has almost 3K rounds through it and I still have to assemble it this way. Browning builds 'em GOOD.
  3. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    It's just a little tight. DO NOT file anything. When installing the forend, grip around the center of the forend and squeeze, this will allow the latch to drop down. The reason it wants to stay open is because the wood in the channel at the tip is a little proud. In a few thousand rounds, the wood will become compressed and the latch will fall into place.

Any alteration you do to it now, will result in a sloppy forend in a very short time.

Though the Browning isn't a "high-end gun", the Japanese(Browning), do, do a very nice job of fitting things together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.