1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

500 Dollar Target

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hivoltfl, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

There was an ATA shoot at a local range yesterday, a shooter that posts here played the long standing option of the middle 50, break 50 straight on the middle traps of the handicap round and win the pot, game has been running 5 years and the pot is over 500 dollars, the shooter (one I admire a lot so I won't give up his name) broke 24 the first trap, 25 the second, dropped one on the third, and ran the rest for a 98. Now this is not the first time this has happened to a number of shooters but damn, I sure would hate to miss a 500 dollar target, I donate to the option pot. He coulda had it. I left the range so I didnt get to witness this but from what I heard he was smoking every target.

Keep hitting them you will get it.

Rick

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

The NAME, dammit, give us the choker's name!

3. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Nope, not gonna do that, he is a much better shooter than myself and I respect him to much, plus he's a good shooter to be around and if I know him he is kicking himself enough without any more help.

Rick

BUT, I couldnt help just a little razzing.

4. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Well, if we are on the subject . . . I missed two targets a couple of years ago in the same round that cost me $1400 total. Around here they are called perpetual purses - break any two 25's in the handicap and win half the kitty for that combination (six ways to win, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-3, 2-4, 3-4). I missed target #50, that one was worth about $750, and then I missed #20 on the last trap which was worth about $650. My drive home was about six hours so I got to think about those two misses for a while.

Scott

5. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Ever see one JUST clear the fence, bounce off the top and out, and cost a shooter $6000.00? It's ALWAYS one isn't it? Doesn't matter what you are shooting. It's always that one.

THAT makes for a LONG ride home.

AJ100

6. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Alright guys I fess up! The bird was a good straigt away but it jigged down just a bit and I shot over it. The o'l Model 12 did her part, just jumped it a little too quick. I managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and All I got for my effort was a yard of relastate! Worst part was the wife was pulling that round! At least she didn't beat me up over it. Oh well! Wasn't as bad as I did over at Styx River a few years ago. THAT ONE cost me $875.00! Good to see you Rick. By the way John shot his best ever yet on doubles after you left. Maybe we'll make Tally next month!

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

AJ100, how about same circumstances only $29,000.

8. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

That one would REALLY hurt.

Hell of a game isn't it? Thats what makes us go back. LOL

AJ100

9. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Funny how we remember the ones we missed. We can see them plain as day.

1977, first year at the grand, Prelim Thursday. Before Bud started to give extra money for the Prelim handicap. 98 was high, six of us with 97.(24 yrd line for me) Missed two in the shootoff. #12 from five, hard right. #23 straight away from 2. Just as I was going to call, one of the refs starts calling someone for another shootoff. I knew better, take the gun down and start all over. But NOOOOO I figured I caught myself and could still break the target. I hesitated for a second, called, and shot down the right hand side of that bugger. No ones fault but my own.

After the shootoff, Leo Cerar from my home club who was watching told me,"Everybody in the stands knew you were going to miss that target. Why in the heck didn't you take the gun down?" What could I say? Rookie mistake.

Wish I had a dollar for every time I thought of those two targets.LOL

AJ100

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sevral years ago, I won the state handicap championship event with a 99. Didn't bother playing any money or buying myself in the calcutta. I did win a little added money but I sure missed the boat on that one. Duh...

11. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Heck, Saturday in Anchorage I opened with a 21 (dropping the FIRST THREE out of the house - boy, that will make you talk to yourself).

Ran the second trap.

Anchorage has a pot option ($24) whereby any TWO 25 STRAIGHTS will pay you, based on what's in that pot when you do it. There's over $11,000 in the pot. Over $5,000 of that is for running 3 and 4. 2 and 3 are worth about $2,000, and 1 and 4 isn't bad....the only one that's low is if you run 2 and 4 - it got hit last week for $1,600.

So I drop ONE on the third trap and ONE on the 4th. Had I run out, I would have won over $8,000...so I dropped two $4,000 birds.

oh well.....

12. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

That's why those pots grow.... it's not easy to break a 50 in handicap with that money on the line.

I've asked some club owners to consider putting a hundred bucks guaranteed added money into the program for a 50 straight in handicap, counting the first, middle and last 50.

I think it would be a great perk and something to go for and would end up being given away very few times.

Next to shoot a handicap see how many 50s there are, it won't be many.

13. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

My wife keeps telling me that there is no such thing as shoulda, coulda, woulda. You did or you didn't.
    D Winter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.