1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

50 year old gunpowder still goes whoooosh

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by oldgahchamp, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I have had an 8oz can of Alcan A-8 hanging around for probably close to 50 years. I think I have had this since 1961 when I bought my first MOd 12 and a single stage Texan reloader.
    Several years ago I set it outside (slightly under cover). Today I noticed the bottom of the can had rotted out and powder was spilling out. I swept it up, took the can and poured it out on my gravel drive. I tossed a match at it and much to my surprise it was still very potent. (Be careful with old powders)! Larry Evans

2. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

If U had loaded it in a shell would probably went BANG.

Doyal

3. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

Jeez Larry - why didn't you call me to watch?

LMS

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A waste of good powder. HMB

5. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Larry, you could have tryed to put out Whoosh with you baseball cap. What is the logo on that hat again? Oh yea, NY. Next Year. Barney

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"A waste of good powder" HMB

Not True. Any time you get a whoooshh or bang with big flames its no waste. Thats entertainment to me but i'm not right you see. LOL

Matt

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Reminds me of the time I dumped some old unidentified powder near my driveway. Some time later, one of my customers-a female-proceeded to drop her cigarette butt while seated on the rear of my van. You guessed it. It flamed up and likely singed the hair off her legs-if she had any. No further damage and we all got a few laughs.

The moral of this story is be careful with old powder disposal!!

8. NintyT

NintyT Member

I had the pleasure of being a bomb tech, and at times had to dispose of 50 plus pounds of powder at a time. We just poured it out in a long curly line on the floor of a quary and set it off with time fuse. Broke my heart to see all that green dot, red dot and others go to waste!

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

used to load 58 grains a shell in my old sxs 10 ga.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

NintyT,

You should have loaded up a few thousand shells with that powder for testing and evaluation. HMB

11. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

For what it is worth, 10 years ago while working up loads for my new '06, I was using IMR 4064. Had new can of powder plus a can that was at least 30 years old. I loaded some with the 30 year old powder & it actually chronographed more uniformly than the new powder. Go figure! Both had been kept near a dehumidifier so no moisture issues. Guess sometimes older is better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.