1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

50 questions...who is ready?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hdbrs, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hdbrs

hdbrs Member

hello guys. ive been lurking your forum for a couple of months now and am bored on account of the weather so i figured i would join and start asking questions. yes i know what the search function is for but im hoping to get some realtime answers.

my trap shooting career started this yr and i maybe shot about 15 times in my league. granted i might shoot 2-3 times at league but i am basically a beginner. as it turns out i think i am relatively ok at it. after the shock of the first couple trys i average between 22-23 with anything below 22 im disapointed and im happy with 23-24. only 1 25 but oh well.

question 1: used guns. what exactly do you look for in a used gun? is it pretty much the condition of the wood and exterior. are the inner workings of a good gun builty to pretty much hold up for 10s of thousands of shells. i mean you can buy a used car which looks great on outside but if owner never maintained the engine it will be junk. i shoot a skb 505 field gun that i bought used many yrs ago because it was in excellent shape at a good price. never fired it until this yeart when i started shooting trap. problem is it just beats me up. i think maybe the barrels are too short and 75 shells later my cheek is black and blue and hurting. is this the gun not fitting me or the fact that its a field gun not a trap gun?

2. hdbrs

hdbrs Member

guys tell me it is good that my cheek hurts. it means i am keeping my head down but no way i could shoot 2 boxes of shells 4 nights in a row. i would be afraid of the kick and get worse at hitting birds

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It sounds as if it doesn't fit you. It shouldn't be beating you up like that. Barrel length is not relevant here. What kind of shells are you shooting? You Do not need anything more powerful than 2 3/4 dram.

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Most likely you are correct, it's a field gun, trap models have different stock dimensions & usually weigh more. Don't know many "years ago" but a new recoil pad and a stick on or lace on pad on your comb may help. Ross Puls

5. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Keeping your head down is good. however, getting beat up is not good. The pitch of your gun maybe causing part of your problems. I had trouble shooting the SKB also. It beat me up,. Therefore I did not shoot it anymore.

6. hdbrs

hdbrs Member

ya i generally shoot aa's that i get from gander mountain. 2 3/4 1 1/8oz 7.5 shot or the cheap federals at the gun club and neither make any difference in the pounding my cheek takes. when i get a gun that fits should i be able to shoot endlessly without my face hurting. i imagine when you say fit it means your eye but hopefully my face to.

question 2: shells. alot of guys say it just isnt worth realoading anymore especially if you got to go out and buy a reloader and start from scratch. thoughts?

7. grntitan

Yeah I can shoot 300 shells/day for 5 days in a row and no cheek pain. As another poster here said, your pitch is likely wrong causing the stock to go up and into your face. There are lots of aspects of gun fit and frankly I'm just not that versed. I had a professional stock guy help me. Your shells are fine.

I suppose starting reloading from scratch would be tough saving money. You would just have to like doing it. I reload but I like shooting my reloads more than I save money.

8. hdbrs

hdbrs Member

ya i doubt i will get into reloading just because i will probably never recoup my money in savings. i could keep shooting the 6 dollar federals but they seem very dirty. i clean my gun every time i shoot it and i can tell the difference between 4 boxes of aas vs 2 boxes of the federals.

so when looking for used guns what should i look for other than the condition of the exterior. the million dollar question i keep asking myself is should i buy a used gun as my first one. i mean im lucky enough to be able to be a 2500 gun now. should i save and go get a new beretta from etchens for double that. then i ask myself well if im gonna wait and spend 5 should i hold off for a better name and wait till i have 8. well if i got 8 i can save 6 more months and have 10. its mind numbing. i want a gun that i can take care of, shoot for 30 years and when my time is up pass it on to my nephew. or is buying guns something you never do once?

9. hdbrs

hdbrs Member

oh i see alot of guns called sporters. if i am buying a gun for trap should it be called a trap gun. do sporting clay guns work or should it be a trap only gun?

10. grntitan

If you are gonna shoot trap, buy a trap gun. The Joel Etchens Berettas are very nice. I shoot a Betetta 682 Gold E Trap. I bought used and wouldn't hesitate to go that route again. Let someone else take the new purchase hit.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot it before you buy it. If you break 24s and 25s with it and it is user friendly, buy it. HMB

12. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

As others have already said it is probably the fact that your gun does not fit you properly. I would suggest you buy The Stock Fitters Bible by Rollin Oswald, Amazon.com, $26.95. The book will not make you a professional stock fitter but it will provide you with enough good info to figure out your problem and correct it. Don't rush into buying a Trap gun before you do your homework as it can be costly. Ask questions at your club. Shoot some of the members guns if they will let you. Just do your research before you plunk down your hard earned $$$. The trap club will still be there in six months or so.
    Above all else... have fun.

Pat

13. hdbrs

hdbrs Member

can i shoot guns at etchens or higradeshooters? two places near me. what are your thoughts on buying combos? i mean i guess if you shoot doubles which i never have an o/u would be nice. i really like the looks of the caesar maxum and apex. granted that is just looking at pics on the computer but a combo is alot more money but i think they would have better resale value maybe. even though i hope to never buy another one if i get lucky the first time.

14. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

For you as a beginner, my good advise would be to find a gun that both fits you, and does not inflict recoil problems. "Fit" means you put it up to your shoulder, (without any major manipulations), fire it at a piece of cardboard at 35 yards or so, and the center of your pattern is maybe 6 inches above your aiming point.

You should NOT get beat up after a few rounds.

Don't be too proud to try a Remington Trap 1100. It is a "Trap" gun, and has managable recoil. Both the "Straight Stock" for short necked shooters, and the "Monte Carlo" for those with a longer neck will break a lot of targets.

The "managed" recoil shotshells WILL break any 16 yard targets you will encounter. Reloading is both fun, and you can save you a few bucks, it will help your scores if done properly.

Many first time reloaders figure out there is very little cost difference between mild and "Hot" reloads, so they load for the "More is Better" approach. In mild weather shooting anything a little over 1100 fps for 16 yard targets will actually help you in the long run.

Good Luck, and have Fun!

15. dhip

dhip Active Member

From experience,a whole tree years,I can attest to buying a trap gun.I ran out and boight a sporting clay gun first,but my scores improved when I bought a trap gun.You don't have to spend a mint,I bought a BT 99 from the fella that got me into the sport.I know at the club I attend there's always someone selling a used gun.And,most,are pretty honest to deal with.They surelu don't want to get a bad reputation at the club.I'd check with those at your club,see what they have for sale,at least there you can probably get to shoot it first,a big advantage.I know,the fella that sold me the BT let me shoot it for 3 months,and left it up to me when to pay him.Of course,I consider him a friend and that's why there was no reserves about me shooting it.Still,just take your time,try one or two out.

Doug H.

16. icelander36

icelander36 Member

Hdrrs,
    A very cheap and quick fix for the shotgun hitting your cheek is to install a tapered shim between your stock and butt pad. Install it with the thick portion to the top and try that to see if it will help. Your SKB 505 can be used for trap by having a raised comb installed to raise Point of impact. They do them here localy for about $175.00 then you would have a gun you could use for all clay target games by raising or lowering the comb. But by all means if you want another shotgun BUY one. Lyle

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

See if you can shoot someones Browning XT or Special Trap Edition...either of these are excellent dedicated trap O/U's and with an adjustable comb would be wonderful at the other clay target sports..30" barrels would be ideal if you want to have fun with all the games,.. 32"'s will work well too but are a touch front heavy and harder to move fast in Sporting, but thats another thing thats subjective, so its good to handle and shoot both if possible...and these would be well within your budget while being handsome guns you'll be proud to have out on the range

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A field shotgun has a sloping comb and repeated firing will cause cheek pain, guaranteed! Even with a correct pad pitch a field comb will bite on recoil.

A fitted to you stock can make about any shotgun type acceptable to break trap targets. After all, most are merely a chunk of pipe with attached wood. What separates the good from the bad and ugly is how the stock fits you. You'll break far more consistent scores with any gun and a fitted stock than the highest price pretty one with one that doesn't fit? (Take that to the bank)That goes for an ugly one also!

Hap

19. hdbrs

hdbrs Member

^^^^so are you saying that i should get a fitted stock on any gun or if i buy a new gun with an adjustable comb will the seller be able to fit the gun to me. does that rule out buying used or could i just take my current gun and get a new stock put on it.

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

hdbrs, an adjustable comb isn't the same thing as a fitted to you stock no matter what kind of gun it's on. All I'm saying is you'll never shoot to your full potential with less than a stock that fits YOU! That, regardless of which gun you choose to use. New, used, it doesn't matter which as long as the stock is fitted to you and your timing to a moving target!

Hap

A fitted to you stock is the most important part on a competition shotgun regardless of cost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.