1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

50 bird registerd shoot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by slide action, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

When we started registering ATA targets back in the early 70s, there were several clubs who shoot 50 bird events. I kind of liked the idea. For years they went away, but today the ATA has revived them somewhat in the so called Big 50 shoots. While I realize that no one would probably want to shoot them at a shoot of any size, I wonder if the small one and two trap clubs might try them. With shooting cost rising, it might be an idea to just get a few targets in. I know they were never popular in the south but I think thery might fly if a few clubs tried them. The only down side is carrying the odd number on your card I guess.

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

The other down side is spending a sunday driving 60 miles to the club to shoot for ten minutes . If you don,t feel you can shoot 100 targets or more stay home . Why would anyone only shoot 50 targets ? I would on the other hand like to see the option of shoot 200 singles or handicap . If I spend the day getting all the crap in the car driving to a club buying my lunch and shooting for less then an hour it would be nice to shoot more ?

Just an idea instead of a 50 target program lets not shoot at all ? Think of the money we save and the bonus is the ATA would need no new shooters at all.

The high cost of this game for me is not the price of targets . When I get to the club I would like to spend the time shooting .

3. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

It’s not just 50 targets; we usually shoot 50 Singles, 50 Handicap, and 50 Doubles.

Capitol City Gun Club in Carson City shoots Big 50's twice a month on Wednesdays. It makes for a great morning, and it’s a chance to register some targets and practice in a competition mode.

I think it’s a great idea and wish Sage Hill would do it on the opposite Wednesdays. Any time you can get people an additional opportunity to shoot some registered targets its got to be good for the Sport.

Jim

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The serious registered target shooters may not think much of the 50 bird events but the smaller events have been very good for our club. To take it a bit further, we also use the 50 bird format for non-registered shoots and end up with a much better net income than we do with registered shoots because of greater participation. Lots of guys enjoy shooting but few are 'hooked' on it. The truth of the matter is that we would go belly up if all we had was practice days and ATA shoots. These days a shooting club needs to be creative to remain solvent and with the escalating cost of everything it is important to cater to your local market.

5. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

Quinton Sportsmens Club is shooting Big 50's on Tuesday evenings. Come on out and get "sharped-up" under the lights. Food at the kitchen from 5:30 til 7:30, eat your way to AA.

Jere Cossaboom

6. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Jerry, you brought up a good point in that some of the older shooters would probably like it. I did have one older gentleman say he was shooting a few of them and really liked the program. He has bad knees and has trouble standing for an extended period of time. The 50-50-50 program should be good enough to create interest and let some shooterrs get their feet wet on ATA targets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.