1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

5 STAND

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

MY GUN CLUB HAS A 5 STAND SET UP THAT THEY USE IN THE SUMMER, I THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE UP THE SUMMER SKEET LEAGUE AND GIVE IT A TRY.

THE QUESTION i have is that I know nothing of the sport, no one has really said much of it.

what gauge of gun do i need to shoot this sport, I have a trap gun over under, a rugger skeet in 12 gauge and a xs skeet in 20, also I have a 1187 clay sport model.

can any of these be used or do I have to get a special gun for this.

i'm also thinking of getting a 28 gauge can this be used.

From what I have seen the 5 stand looks like a lot of fun and probley less expensive than sporting clays.

any help would be great

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

It's usually a 12 gauge game unless your course is a powder puff. Do you have birds over 30 yards? Chondells, rabbits, teal? Most used choke is Improved cylinder and light modified. A good ole' 1100 w/ IC will work on most courses. 28 gauge is fun, but unless you're an experienced shooter, you won't be competitive with the 28.

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

You have more than enough guns, just go do it. You'll love it.

4. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I shoot ALOT of 5 stand. I would use the XS Skeet or the 1187. The ruger kicks too hard for me and I'm usuaklly out of the gun for the second shot. The trap gun shoots too high for the rabbit and the teal. Alot of the targets are dropping and a flatter shooting gun works best. I almost always use IC for chokes.

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

12ga is what you want, and not a full choke. I tried it a few times and found the directly overhead birds coming from behing (off the roof) to be very humbling. They looked easy, but my fixed full choke trap gun and bad shooting were a nasty combination, LOL.

It was different and fun though, and it's nice to get two shots.

-Gary

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My favorite gun for sporting clays is my 1187 20ga. Recoil is very light with 2.5 dram 7/8 oz loads, and the gun is light enough to jink around easily for the second shot. It's just flat out fun to shoot.

However, some presentations, like rabbits, favor the 12ga because of better pattern density for more open chokes, and less shot stringing. Also, some sporting clays are a lot tougher to break than trap clays, and you need larger pellet sizes to consistently break them. The pattern gets a bit thin with the light 20ga loads with larger pellet sizes.

Remington recognized this when they came out with the lighter 1187 Sporting Clays gun with its shorter mag tube and forend. However, I think the long discontinued 11-96 would be a better sporting clays gun because of the lighter receiver as well.

7. L21L39

L21L39 TS Member

Definetly shoot the five stand. I shoot my sporting clays gun anytime I shoot it. Don't get frustrated the first couple of times. It takes a few rounds to get used to the targets and how to get set up fot them, especially true pairs, and which of those to shoot first. It is definetly a very fun game, and a little cheaper and quicker to shoot than sporting clays, although you will not get as much variety of target presentation.

Have fun, Daryl

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Anything will work. Even my 32" AYA Matador SxS will break them.. It's a fun thing, enjoy it... Then trap season starts...

9. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

This is what I like to see. Some trap shooters who are willing to cross the line.

Seriously, I love trap shooting but, this past season I've shot more Skeet, 5-stand, wobble and sporting than in the past 20+ years combined. Humbeling feeling?, certainly it is but when you see progression from week to week or month to month it's a good feeling.

I'm fortunate that I can shoot some trap and skeet at the same location on the same day. I'll do this Sunday and will most likely be the only guy to do it.

I realize this in not for everyone but just give it a try.

10. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

One of the clubs I frequent has Trap, Skeet, and 5-Stand fields always set-up and ready to go. I consider myself a Trap shooter, but would much rather shoot 5-Stand as it is much more fun and offers many more presentations. Pretty good hunting practice as well. On special days, we will modify the "normal" procedure and have "games" where it's the puller's choice on presentation and launch. You're either ready.....or you really suck! Have never seen anyone NOT having fun at this!

AndyH '-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

do trap guns work for skeet and five stand

five stand trap