1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

5 stand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Olrusty, May 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olrusty

Olrusty TS Member

Going to shoot 5 stand for the second time in a couple days. Shot once before a couple yrs ago, and never did figure out where the birds were coming from or going to. A complete disaster. Can some one give me a brief discription of the game and what the 'menu' cards are for and how to read them. Thanks for any info anyone can give me I can't find anything about this on the web. Olrusty

2. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

IIRC,the traps are numbered and you shoot like trap,but everybody does one single,then a double,then another double,then rotate.5 shots.
    each station or stand has the traps for that stand,numbered on the card.
    you should be aware of where the traps are,theyre numbered on them.

everybody shoots the same combinations in a round.

its very cool as it keeps your mind juggling,if theres a puller,theyll call out your traps for you when its your turn.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Observing a few rounds may help in giving you a general idea where and how birds are flying but trying to memorize the whole package can be too much to attempt unless you shoot it over and over. The menu for each position, as said above, is a single followed by a pair and the last is another pair. It should be marked whether they are report pairs or true pairs too. Watch several others shooting the game and follow one shooter through the process at a time. You should be able to get enough clues to better understand.....breakemall

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

1.) the traps are normally numbered with big signs.
    2.) There will be a sign at each "stand".
    Example of the sign at your post.....

2&4

3&5

This means at your stand, You'll get a single #6 (which you can shoot at twice if you miss on your first shot.)

Then you'll either get a report pair #2 and then a #4 will be released after you fire at #2, or doubles with the #2 and #4 thrown at the same time. The club will tell you if they are reports or doubles.

Then you'll get a double of #3 and #5, both birds thrown at the same time.

Ask to have someone stand behind you when you are shooting and walk you thru it!! It's quite simple.

5. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I shoot this every Saturday and Sunday. I LOVE it! Like the previous posters said....you should watch a round or 2 to see where the birds are coming from. The traps are set out on the field and are numbered. The trick is figuring out which bird to shoot first on a simo pair. The one that hits the ground first should be shot first, no matter what the menu says. a 2R4 means the 2 will come out first and on report, the next target...the 4 after you have shot the 2. A following bird shot is 2F4. The 2 comes first and after a 3 or 4 second delay comes the 4.....NOT a report, where you have time to shoot the first bird at your lesiure. It will come out after a delay, whether you shoot the first bird in 1 second or 10....the second bird comes out automatically. 2S4 means both birds come out at the same time.....shoot the bird that is going to hit the ground first. I can explain alot more if you PM me. Have fun ~ it's a blast!

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My suggestion is to be a spectator until you see how things are done at that particular club. No two five stands are alike. My club was running a seven stand and the presentations often changed. If there are guys shooting just for fun or practice, ask them if you can join and tell them you would like to shoot last, and need some coaching. Most will be glad to help.

7. moose!!!

moose!!! Member

At our club we have 3 levels at the fist level they throw all singles, level 2 you get 1 pr of doubles, and the third they are all doubles each is listed on the front of the stand you are shooting from and the traps are numbered with BIG numbers. From the sounds of your question maybe they forgot to number the traps this would be a challenge

8. Olrusty

Olrusty TS Member

Thank you all for the help. This info will put me ahead of where I started last (first) time I tried it. Olrusty

9. hopper810

hopper810 Member

If the course isn't crowded have the trapper just throw all singles until you get more comfortable.

10. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Watch the squad ahead start. The trapper will through a target from each trap,
    make a sketch of target trajectory on the inside of a shell box or a card.
    This will help not only knowing what trap a target is coming from, but a rough
    idea of its flight. I am not sure if you can have a sketch in competition (don't know of a rule that you can't), but you should be able to use in
    practice. Remember you can take your time before you call an you can ask the
    trapper for the trap sequence.

11. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

When you shoot your last pair on each station watch the guy to your right shoot his last pair that way you'll know which target to shoot when your turn comes.

Rick

12. SBray

SBray Active Member

One of the clubs I shoot at has skill levels programmed for players starting with five singles, a pair and three singles, a single and two pairs.

I really like the course Yvonne described. It would make the game even more interesting.

Steve

13. SBray

SBray Active Member

One of the clubs I shoot at has skill levels programmed for players starting with five singles, a pair and three singles, or a single and two pairs.

I really like the course Yvonne described. It would make the game even more interesting.

Steve

14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

What hopper810 said. Shoot singles for a while. You can do that even if there are a lot of shooters, just tell the puller to throw singles. It's best to learn the leads you need for each target, and you can watch the other shooters' targets to see where the pairs are thrown.

I see too many new shooters try to shoot the regular program and all they do is poke holes in the sky and get discouraged.

15. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

Just a few more tips:

When viewing targets, don't just look at the ideal break point, try to determine where you can break the bird early and where you can break it late. This will help with the pairs.

When viewing targets in tournaments, I almost always ask the puller to repeat the bird that is my first single. Don't be afraid to ask the puller to repeat any show bird you want.

On singles you can shot twice, so you may want to try and break the bird early. You may need that shot in a pair, so practice it.

On report pairs, try to break the first bird in a place that will leave you in the best position to engage the second bird.

One report & true pairs, if you miss the first shot, it is generally better to shoot at the first bird again, but not always, and in practice hard to remember.

True pairs, which one to shoot first? It depends. Another poster said the one that hits the ground first, that will work as a general rule, but not always. If you have a hard outgoing trap type or teal target, you would most likely shoot it first.

Last but not least, specialty targets. Midis & Minis look farther that than are, start out faster, but slow faster than standards. Rabbits, most people miss in front and people watching tell them they are behind it because their eyes go to the dust. Rabbits appear fast, but they really are not. Many can be taken by shooting at their front foot. Be aggressive when shooting rabbits, don't track them. Battues break easily, but these arching targets can be hard to hit. The lead is usually more than you think.

It will take several rounds of 5 Stand for everything to sink in, so just try to relax and have a good time. You don't have to shoot 100% to be considered a good 5 Stand shooter, 85% will do it.

Good luck, and tip your pullers

5 Stand Dan

16. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

A lot of good advice from 5-stand-Dan, but probably more advanced than a new shooter would need. Even experienced shooters were once new shooters.
    If you're not sure where the target is being thrown, don't be embarrassed to stop and ask either the puller or the shooter in the adjoining stand. Nobody will mind.

Be mindful of where you're going to have to point the gun, and position yourself in the stand so you have room to move the barrel without hitting
    the side of the stand. That will leave a nasty mark. Generally you want to stand as far forward in the stand as you can. That's also where you should
    load the gun - not standing back in the stand so you have to lift a loaded gun over the shelf in front of you.

17. SBray

SBray Active Member

Great thread folks! There is a lot of information shared for us beginners to learn.

Thanks,

Steve

18. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Most places I shoot at throw a single, a report pair and then a double on each station. I shot at one Sunday afternoon after church and went straight till the last station and missed the easiest bird of all. Ended up with a 24, my best score ever. I do love the game but have not mastered it. They move the thrower to different angles regularly and when it's windy those 50 yd shots are tough. LOL Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content