1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

5 Stand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fcd67, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fcd67

fcd67 Member

I am joining a 5 stand league this week. Don't know much about it. Any tips,suggested loads and gun/choke recommendations would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Sean

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Sean: The 5 stand that I have shot is in my opinion; is a "lazy mans" sporting clays game. i.e. it is very similar to sporting clays without the walking. As in sporting clays the presentations vary. I feel that most shooters can get by with an improved cylinder choke. A 1 oz. load of #8 is all you probably will need. Good Luck. Ed

3. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

You will need an o/u or auto loader. Chokes can very, but light mod will do you fine. Usually 5 or 6 traps. Most of the time single and report pairs, but have shot some with true pairs. 7 1/2's about 1300 fps. The angles make it fun. Shoot and enjoy yourself. Just like sporting clays , but all within a small area instead of acres.

4. fcd67

fcd67 Member

Would I be better off using my o/u w/ 32" barrels instead of my autoloader w/ a 26" barrel?
    Also do you use a slightly heavier load for the 2nd shot?

5. andybull

andybull Active Member

An over under that shoots 60/40 or flatter is ideal, otherwise you will more than likely have to float the bird over your barrel if your gun's POI is high. I've shot up to an IM choke in major competitions, but usually a skeet IC combo will do. If you are not a quick shot, try IC Light mod.

7 1/2 shot, either in 1 1/8 OZ or 1 OZ will break everything and it'll keep you from thinking about the proper load. Lead will depend on speed of target and distance.

Andy

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Shoot the O/U with SK/IC chokes and you'll be perfectly fine. Don't worry too much about shot size or weight. A miss is still a miss and a good shot will break with any shell. I'd grab #8 1oz and enjoy it.

PS - Don't go crazy changing chokes or shells. People go nuts adjusting for the different stations when it's really not necessary. Just gives them a reason to complain when they miss.

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

how can we recommend chokes when we don't know the target presentations?
    Light mod, when in doubt, but ask some people that have shot it before.

It may be an easy IC course. 2 3/4 dram #8's work on most courses.

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Because most 5 Stand that I've seen are on a Skeet field. But yeah good point.

9. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

Any of the choke and load suggestions are good. I usually taylor my load to the target presentation, I usually have two different loads, light and handicap. I have been shooting a WS1 Skeet choke out of an old M12 and if I do my part not target can out run a Win Heavy Handicap 71/2's.
    The biggest advantage you can give yourself is deciding which target to take first in some of the true pair situations, not always is the first target,usually the closest is the one you take first. Watch a few rounds if you can before you have to shoot and you will definitely have some advantage.
    Head Down and Keep Swinging

10. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Here is how I've played it; others might have it different. At each station, you first shoot at a single target and are allowed two shots at it. Then two targets, presented twice. Note that you will need extra shells beyond the 25 if you shoot twice at the first target at any station. Carry at least five extra for every round. Visualize where you are going to break the targets, shoot the first and don't wait to admire the break because the second one is getting away.

As in sporting clays, the ease or difficulty of breaking targets depends on how sadistic the target setter is.

11. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

IC chokes and #8 will handle most courses. Since you're new at it don't concentrate too much on the targets just ahead of you because your targets will be a different pair. Read your sign for which pair you will get and plan your shots accordingly.

12. fcd67

fcd67 Member

Thank you for all of the suggestions so far.
    One question, does anyone use a cylinder choke for any of the clay sports?

13. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I had a cyl choke added to my choke selection for shooting quail at field trials and find it useful when I shoot skeet, not much use after that.

14. 87AA

87AA TS Member

If you can, try to watch a squad or two before it's your squad is up. Watch every pair closely and pick out the one or two pairs that are "tricky". Every 5-stand has at least one pair that you think should be shot one way but it is in fact the complete opposite. This also depends on how fast you shoot. I've seen All-Americans not take a shot at the second target because it was already on the ground or in trees. Having a plan will help prevent this. Good luck.

15. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Good luck and enjoy. Sounds fun.

16. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

Have not shot any 5 stand that full choke would not break, Like to see dust in the air.thanks Ronnie

17. fly

fly Active Member

if 5-stand is a "lazy mans game" as it was referred to in an earlier post, what is 16 yard trap???

18. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

Another thing about 5-Stand is that no choke changing is allowed during the round. You have to choke up for the longest shot you will encounter & go for it. Normally you will be allowed to preview a target from each trap beforehand & given a few minutes to select a choke. John

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

5 Stand is a fun change of pace but is not meant to be taken seriously. The whole idea is to shoot just a few rounds a year and enjoy the public embarrassment of it.

-Gary

20. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

fcd67 - Five Stand Sporties is a fun game that provides an excellent break from a long trap season.

I shoot an O/U with 32 inch barrels. I shoot a one ounce load with IC chokes. It is an entirely different game which can be very addicting.

You and your shooting pals will have an absolute blast busting these birds.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.