1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

5 pound bottle of Mercury-what do I do now

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Gabe, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabe

Gabe Member

20 or so years ago I acquired a 5 pound bottle of mercury I thought I'd use to make me a recoil reducer or 2. Put it up in a cabinet and clean forgot about it. Was going through some stuff and found it the other day just like I left it years ago. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of it. I'd like to sell it but have no idea on what it would be worth or how to dispose of it. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Gabe

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

The link above, obtained from a Google query, may help.

Additionally, go to Google and enter the name of your state and "mercury disposal" and see what comes up.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Call local metal scrap yard, Im sure its worth something. Wait if molten lead forms spheres when dropped what will mercury do when shot? Anyway, My dad always saved the mercury in old switches and thermo stats and such, Would turn it in down at the scrap metal place every hunting season?

4. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

STEVE. what you said in this reply is not proper information for this site and the masses. Someone could have take it wrong and actually done it, so it is being eliminated by MODERATOR

Steve

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Gabe send me a email. I would like to buy it. John

6. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

What are the uses of Mercury these days other than the obvious recoil suppressor, certainly not in Thermostats anymore. I have been holding on to an old Thermostat cause I don't know what to do with it.

7. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

I used to use it to clean out the stuck barrels from pellet guns. Eats right thru the lead..

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

ArmyMechanic is correct. The stuff is great for getting lead out of barrels. It must be used with care. Also, if you have any gold ore in your yard, the mercury will get the gold out of crushed rocks.

When I was 10 years old, I used to go to the local Drug Store and get a little mercury to make my dimes shinny. Why did this not kill me?

Pat Ireland

9. ink ball

ink ball Member

Gentlemen,

Please be careful with mercury. This is a cumulative toxin and is accumulated in vital organs (primarily, the liver). Remember, just because something isn't acutely toxic doesn't mean that it can't cause problems down the road. Mercury like nearly all liquids have a vapor pressure, and a surprisingly small amount of mercury in a confined area (such as a room) can generate a gaseous mercury concentration in the air that is hazardous. No, it won't cause you to drop in your tracks, but it can cause organ and tissue damage over time.

Its always a good idea to wear gloves and wear an approved respirator (one designed to filter mercury vapors) when working with mercury.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

ink ball- Clearly, you are correct.

MrkSLC- The mercury may have damaged part of us but it did not affect my memory. I can not think of a single thing I have forgotten.

Pat Ireland

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Gold miners use it to seperate gold dust from black sand. Find a gold prospectors web site, I'm sure you can sell it.

12. jlb

jlb Member

Pat

Could it be that the Hg is why we shoot trap. We can't remember how to do anything else?

jlb

13. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Last year, a local high school had to spend a significant sum to decontaminate a classroom in which a teacher spilled a small amount of mercury. The teacher was also disciplined.

When I was in high school in the early 1960's, we used to pour a small amount of mercury on a tabletop and coat a dime or a quarter with it. I also remember thermometers being broken when 100 degree limit mercury Fahrenheit thermometers were placed in a jet of steam. We also used to use asbestos gloves. Times have certainly changed as we have become more aware of the risks from exposure to mercury and asbestos.

Mercury, as I understand it, was once a strategic material and was used in submarines for trim purposes as it was fluid and heavy and quickly allowed a submarine to adjust its balance.

I only substitute teach anymore but I get to enter over 100 different classrooms each year. It is sad to see the condition of many of the science classrooms with limited, obsolete and/or broken equipment. IMO, to learn science and develop curiosity about science, students need to perform experiments.

On the plus side, the textbooks and films (VCR, DVD and Internet based) are very informative. However, nothing to me beats “hands on” including measuring of results and writing reports of experiments performed. I wonder if they even sell chemistry sets anymore. Many of us had them when I was a kid and we would ride our bikes to a hobby shop to buy chemicals, retorts, test tubes and the like.

Of course, we made stink bombs and tried to make gunpowder. However, we could never get potassium nitrate(saltpeter)pure enough for the gunpowder to flash. It would only burn with a hot flame like a railroad flare.

Ed Ward

14. jlb

jlb Member

Pat

Could it be that the Hg is why we shoot trap. We can't remember how to do anything else?

jlb

15. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

I am simply amazed at all the cautions we have now a days (to prevent us from hurting outselfs and making some lawyer rich), I belive it didnt hurt you cause you exercised some common sense in the handling of it (amazingly it can be done without respirators and gloves, soap and water fixes alot of things...lol)

Shame the taxpayers had to pay for clean up of an entire room, which didnt need it. if you cant keep the kids from licking the walls and floors something is wrong with your school system. lol

Infact if you live in ohio and want to part with the mercury, Id gladly buy it off of you. its always handy to have around.

16. chemist

chemist Member

I live in NJ- we have some tough laws about hazardous substances and their removal and disposal - none are cheap- I would recommend that you call a state HazMat office and find out the methods and legality of getting rid of it- here you own it in perpituity- meaning you get rid of it and the next guy spills it - you could be named in the cleanup- keep an accurate paper trail if you get rid of it so you can prove you were legal -schools here can only use alcohol in thermometers and that includes junior colleges- in a sturdy well protected bottle it will not harm you- spilled in your home where it gets in the cracks the vapors can over time do harm- the bad one is methylmercurey which is rapidly absorbed by the body and fatal- it forms when certain bacteria digest the mercury and form this compounds in nature- pretty sure unless you live in a swamp that you are safe from this. Hope this helps - but we really do not need this material being disposed of improperly- and I am no tree hugger.

17. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Remember that Mercury (Hg) was also used in early primers, and percussion caps before that. The mercury residue would soften the brass case and make it unfit for reloading, not to mention what the airborne mercury fumes and salts might do to your body.

The mercury was in the form of mercury fulminate. This was elemental mercury (like your container) that was processed with some form of nitric acid and alcohol. I would imagine that the processing would also generate a significant amount of airborne mercury containing fumes. Another interesting fact is that substituting silver for mercury resulted in an explosive that was so unstable it could even explode when kept underwater. Of course a silver fulminate would be quite an expensive bang!

Every now and then someone would post on this list about "recycling or reloading" used primers. Well, here is your chance. Just please, if you decide to do that, please, PLEASE, be a long way down wind of me ;=)

18. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

In high school, in the mid-60's, our chemistry teacher used mercury to demonstrate how a barometer worked.

We took a glass tube, 36" long, poured mercury into a lab bowl, had a big strong guy stand up on the lab table, and attempt to suck the mercury up through the tube. No matter how hard they tried, they couldn't suck the mercury any higher than about 30", or so; about the same as the current barometric pressure.

The teacher would probably be locked up today for such an experiment, but it sure demonstrated how barometric pressure was determined.

We would then take the mercury, pour a little on the table, and marvel at how it acted in its liquid form.

Boy, were those the days.

Best,
    Dennis

19. oletymer

oletymer Member

All of my friends played with mercury in the 40s. We coated coins and poured it on the floor and swept up the puddles with our hands. We are all still here and getting a lot older. The problem with kids today is they are protected from everthing. They have no immunities because they have never been exposed to much.

20. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

My mother was a nurse at the county hospital. She used to bring home the mercury from all of the broken thermometers for us kids to play with. That fact explains a lot of things about me now. My sisters didn't play with it as much as I did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.