1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

5 MAN TEAM SHOOTS= LOTS OF STRESS!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    over the years i have had some good shooters ask me to shoot on their team at "the 5 man team shoot". usually it's at the last minute when a good shooter cancels out on them, and the only person to choose from is me or a shooter that shoots a shade better than that chimp that was in the news recently. at first you jump at the offer, than after they tell you who else is on the team, and they say "we are trying to win this whole thing and we need you to shoot a 98 or 99". the first thing i say to myself is " how can i get out of this?" i have been shooting since the 70's and i have had one 100 straight. that alone should tell you my 98's and 99's don't come every week. how many times once the shooting starts i would say to myself "please don't be the guy who misses the first target?" than it happens "lost" and although the squad does not say anything, you know they are pissed off and are thinking, this guy is going to lose it for us. almost every 5 man team that i have ever shot on, i am usually low man on the squad. i can not tell you how bad that feels, unless you have experienced it yourself. usually the high man or the people on the squad who shot well put their arm around you and say, everyone has a bad day, don't worry about it, we have a shot at the lewis class. as you are putting your gun into the car, you know the rest of the squad is saying, "if it wasn't for steve, we could have won this shoot today" sob lost it for us. during the shoot, i would have other shooters i know come up to me and say "we just talked to so and so who shot with you and he said you lost it for them". one time i was in a terrible slump and an older veteran shooter needed one more guy to round out his squad. i told him i was in a slump, and declined. he kept on asking me and i reluctintly agreed to shoot. i was on station 5 on the first 25 and i missed the first 2 hard rights out of the box. the guy who asked me to shoot with them , stopped the squad, and started yelling" what the hell are you doing? your losing the shoot for us. you will never shoot with us again". I HATE 5 MAN TEAM SHOOTS, I DO NOT NEED THE STRESS. have any of you ever experienced anything like i have at a 5 man team shoot?
    steve balistreri

2. super-target

super-target TS Member

Steve,

You've got to learn to take it easy when you shoot! ENJOY IT! If your team mates are pressuring you as you stated, or make you feel if you shoot bad, THEY'LL LOSE, then you need to find different team members. It's that simple!!

My squad, has won the Wisconsin State Team Championships 2 times in the last 8 years. . .2001 with 494 x 500 and in 2006 with 492 x 500. The year we had the 492 score (and won) the low man had 96 x 100. He was not the regular guy on our squad, but we sure as hell made him feel like he was. He now has a championship buckle and was thrilled to beat the band on that day. . .

We also took second place in 2005 with 492 x 500 at Janesville in 100 degree temperatures, and lost the shootoff we were in because I missed two targets in the shootoff (MY DAD WAS DYING) and we lost 123 to 122. That was our regular team and not one of my buddies blamed ME for losing. That year I had the low score with 96 x 100. . .The two years we won, 2001 and 2006 I had 100 x 100 both times.

We also have placed 3rd, 4th, and 5th in the last 10 years with scores of 490,
    490 and 488. If you're wondering what the name of the team is, it is Dan's Gunners out of Fond Du Lac. Last year we shot a 488 and were knocked out of second place by the last squad.

When we wear out blue hats, people know we are there to have fun first, but we are also there to win. It is a team event. No one person is more valuable than the person standing next to him! We all rely on each other, but if we all don't "CLICK" together on that day, we still had a hell of a good time.

ENJOY YOURSELF, YOUR TEAM MEMBERS, AND YOUR SPORT! The WTA 5 Man Team championships are something we look forward to GREATLY each year!

Scott Messner, Captain Dan's Gunners 2001 and 2006 State Team Champions

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

It is common practice in Wisconsin for the low man on the squad to be strung up at high noon. Glad I do not live in Wisconsin.... Oh, wait...

[​IMG]

It is all about this buckle.

4. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Steve, I had this happen to me one time.

After my team idiots tantrum, I replied," I wasn`t trying to make us lose, but I am now!"

They never asked me to shoot with them again, I wonder why? LL

Tom R.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

The first time I was asked, I only new one member of the Team. He was a good shooter, and they all came from another club. I was very nervous.

I was lucky not be have the first "lost" bird. Wound up with high score on the Team that day and it felt good. But it was a stressful shoot until the last post.

Don Verna

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Steve: First let me state that if these "fellow" shooters criticized your shooting and accused you of "losing it" for them; I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. They surely don't deserve to be a part of any "team". And let me tell you; everyone of those clowns fell on their a$$ numerous times. It just that they conveniently forget those times. I understand your nervousness and it's easier said than done; but you can only do the best you can. Period. I remember many years ago, we had a very good team. However, this local club also had another very good team. We were always 'battling it out" to see who would win the club championship. Well about 1/2 way through the season both teams were pretty close and one night they shot a 125x125. We listened to the endless bragging. 2 weeks later we shot a 123x125 and I missed the 2 targets. talk about feeling bad. Well to sum this up, one of the shooters from the other team who was a loud mouth; kept rubbing it in. Near the end of the season we went to a team invitational. Our team captain needed another shooter and asked the "loudmouth" to shoot with us. Well we had a 124x125 and loudmouth missed the very last bird. I still kind of smile over that. Bottom line Steve, "What goes around comes around". I should also add that before seasons end we did shoot 125x125 and beat the other team for total scratch score. Ed

7. senior smoke

so far, some good advice!
    steve

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I wouldn't shoot a team shoot with anyone who tells me what I have to break. Find another team or don't do it.

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Hell, I shot with Tron and Big Don last year. Talk about pressure! Not really, it was fun, no pressure at all.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Several years ago at Mason, Michigan's team shoot, I was asked to shoot with 4 Ohioan's who's 5th didn't show. Well, being a Wolverine and all, I told them I weren't much good, they said neither are we...

when we were down 1 bird after the first field, I figure we were all a bunch of liars!!

shot 494 to win the thing..

Yes, it's all about the buckle..

James R. Chapman
    Hell, michigan

11. senior smoke

years ago a friend of mine who was a solid AA shooter got on a 5 man team that was loaded with good shooters. they should have won the event hands down. just before they shot, he got a call from his girlfriend and she broke up with him. he ended up shooting in the low 90's. kolar12 was on this squad and he can tell you better than i, to this day, the shooters on this squad have not forgotten what happened that day. they are still talking about it. if kolar12 reads this, please tell the whole story of that day.
    steve balistreri

12. 3357

3357 Member

Steve, sounds like you need some new friends/team mates.

4 years ago I was a happy club shooter/never even considered shooting registered targets, then a fellow shooter approaches me and asks me to fill in for a shooter who cant make the Michigan fall team shoot at Mason.

I agreed and met the "team" at the shoot. I was intimidated to say the least. My team mates are shooting fitted ljutic/kolar/seitz/perrazi, I was shooting a stock bt99. I had never seen that many trap fields going at one time and did not know that level of competition exhisted.

The other guys on the squad must have noticed my nervousness. They were quick to put me at ease and let me know that all they expected was that I shoot to the best of my ability and this is supposedto be fun. I shot an 88, they all shot in the mid 90's. We did not win anything.

After the shoot these guys were very supportive. As it turns out I made 4 new friends. I also became hooked on registered shoots and improving my shooting for my own satisfaction.

"Our" team is intact to this day and we have competed at every spring and fall team shoot at Mason ever since, I now can shoot in the mid nineties under pressure, and we are still trying to win a buckle.

Maybe I am just lucky but I have always had positive experiances shooting registered targets.

I now enjoy a great sport and it is because I "filled a hole" on a strange squad at a team shoot.

Do not give up and shoot to enjoy it for yourself. jess

13. senior smoke

3357- nice story.
    thanks,
    steve

14. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

You want pressure? How about a 375 straight and in the last trap.... you are all still straight going into the next to the last post. You know what that score sheet looked like after the first three traps? All of us had ran 100's and we knew someday that it was possible that we would run them all. Alas....it wasn't to happen, but we sure didn't string up the guy that missed. Hell, we were just relieved that it wasn't us. Sound to me like you shoot with a bunch of butt-heads.

Still waiting for that perfect squad.

Rick in Mt.

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Sounds to me that you have more problems with shooting and shooters than anybody I know. Maybe you should take up a less stressful hobby, maybe knitting.

Another dumb SS thread.

Don

16. senior smoke

big don- funny that you mention that. i am learning to crochet because i want to make you a scarf for Christmas.
    take care,
    steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.