1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

......5 killed in Oregon tour bus crash on I-84

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

......5 killed in Oregon tour bus crash on I-84. This is terrible I think we should all sign a petition to get rid of buses. They cause major calamity when involved in an accident. Bulge.

2. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hey Bulge- You are going to start mass hysteria. Slow down buddy.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The Cabbage Hill and Deadman Pass area is very nasty with even the slightest amount of ice on the road. Cabbage Hill is a 6% grade with very sharp turns, and the only way to get a modern interstate on it was to separate the east and west bound lanes by up to two miles from each other. Anyone who speeds through this area is a fool. It's bad enough when dry but when wet or especially in winter conditions it's flat out dangerous.

Here's the story with a photo of the bus crash. Latest is nine people are dead.

4. ultramag338

ultramag338 Member

I travel this mountain pass at least 200 times a year. The bus crashed on a straight stretch. Sad indeed but I would bet speed was a factor, alot of people speed after the packed snow is gone not thinking of the black ice. It was a sad happening. Corey

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The Blues as it is called is a nasty pass this time of year. I avoid going that way in the winter months. Chains are required a lot of the time for trucks. A 4 wheel drive is a must. Very sad to hear. Local news is reporting 9 dead and at least 20 injured now and we are close ( 150 miles west of here)

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I guess Congress should look into banning tour buses since this was obviously the buses fault

7. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

it can also get very foggy up on cabbage. i used to travel that road many times.i remember a fog related accident 20 or 25 years ago in which 11 occupants in 1 small van perished. i have went down cabbage at 3 or 4 mph in a semi because it was so slick. i have not made as many trips up & down cabbage as bryan or corey but i have made my share both in good & bad weather.dwain

8. ultramag338

ultramag338 Member

Dwain

I agree it gets bad, this wreck was west bound just after deadmans pass in the deep canyon on the right just before the scales. The kids that were released from the hospital stayed the night in the convention center in Pendleton with the Red Cross. I was raised in Pendleton, very sad but sounds like my old home town was taking pretty good care of them. Corey

P.S. I to have been off there at 3 mph in a semi it sucks.

9. C-Money

C-Money Member

Cabbage is a stretch of road one need to be very careful on. Heck, the whole thing between Pendleton and La Grande is potentially icy/snowy for well over half the year. Sad the wreck happened.

10. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Was the bus one of those scary looking Black "Assault Buses"?...Bill

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

That bus was a high capacity device. We simply must limit transportation to 10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.