1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

5.8 litre F250 quit?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Oct 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Got in my 94 Ford F250 4x4 after work today. Engine started like normal, it ran for about 30 seconds then just quit. I thought I smelled something electrical for a few seconds but not much, then I smelled something like "Armor All". Well anyway I couldn't get it started after that. I switched tanks, still nothing. I don't think it is a fuel problem because it quit right away, no sputtering.

I know it could be anything but any ideas? It could be anything from a throttle sensor to .................

My plan is to take one of my other trucks with trailer and load it up and bring it home tomorrow.

It's the first time I've ever been left stranded by a Ford work truck.

It's got a 140k miles and the only thing I've did is replace brakes once, serpentine belt once, and change tranny fluid a couple of times.

Any suggestions? I'm not a mechanic but a parts changer. LOL

2. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I had a Ranger do this once. In fords there is a safety switch in the front bumper, in the event of a crash it turns off the fuel immediately. This switch went bad in my ranger and it did the same thing. Not sure thats what it is but maybe you could add it to the list of things to check. Good Luck.

3. oz

oz Active Member

take it to a mechanic (ford dealer) if you change all the parts you will have a new truck.

4. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

You dont have to change the bumper switch to check it. An Ohm meter will do the trick. if its open its junk.

5. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

It could also be the cam sensor. It will shut one down in a heartbeat. I'd also check the fuze blocks. if you smelled something, could be something got hot and should have blown a fuze.

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

If it's the fuel pump there is a reset button and don't remember where it is on a 94 but it can be tripped by someone bumping into the vehicle or a large pothole. Cam sensor is more likely. Your right though, it can be so many things. While it's still on the trailer run by Advance auto and let them run the scanner on it. Jackie B.

7. oz

oz Active Member

it COULD be a lot of things. If the guy does not know how to get/read codes he will take all your suggestions an try them. He will waste time and money. I am a mechanic/technician. take it to the dealer. You might get lucky and fix it but if you are not lucky you will waste time and money and THEN take it to the dealer.

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

It could be a lot of things. Bad relay,corrode wire, faulty sensor.....etc. scan for codes and go from there.

In

9. plinker611

plinker611 Member

gonna need to find someone with the rite scanner,obd-1,autozone wont have one,your best bet is a ford dealer or a long time mechanic,mark

10. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

The fuel pump switch is located in the passenger kick panel, should be a red button on top to reset. The smell of electrical would be the first thing I would check for. Possible damaged ignition switch, burned connection on the back of the fuse panel, or simply a burned fuse to either the ECM or fuel pump relay? You may need a mechanic locally to solve this without spending a lot on part changing. Good luck should be an easy repair.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Mine burned the wire to the starter, it was rubbing, shorted out and caught on fire!

12. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Thanks for the input guys. I got it home and it is sitting outside. I sprayed some starter fluid in the intake and it didn't do anything, so I'm guessing it isn't a fuel problem.

Sometime I will probably do what Oz suggested and take it to a shop. I've got a couple of spare trucks so I'm in no hurry to get it fixed.

Thanks again.

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

The fact you smelled something funny in the cab is a place to give a quick peek around...If its in the same place as my 92,..the ECM is behind the passenger kick panel..comes out real easy in a minute or so...pull the panel and take a sniff to see if the smell you caught a whiff of is coming from in the box

14. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Bisi,

I think you broke it.

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

If it's equiped with electronic fuel injection depress the stem of the schrader valve in the fuel rail with the key in the on position if it sprays some fuel it's most likely not a fuel issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.